L114,s have spawned

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Well done Gee, looking very promising. I wrote
"Another possibility is you could add a bit more "Prime" to the tank water, that will stop the ammonia going into the nitrogen cycle, if the nitrate is getting there by that route." Bigjohnofish replied "prime only delays the onset of ammonia... it bonds the ammonia up but breaks back down in your tank after a few days.... if your biological filter is up to scratch this isnt a problem as the ammonia is quickly converted into nitrite/nitrate.... if not you'll get another ammonia spike.... as good a product as prime is it has its problems too.... "
Big john is right about "Prime", it only temporarily binds ammonia. Seachem won't tell you how it works other than it "contains hydrosulfite" (could be either HSO2- or - O2S-SO2-) and "bisulfite" (HSO3-) it is not obvious whether these ingredients actually react with ammonia, or whether some other unnamed ingredients perform that function. Best guess would be that the reaction product is H2NCH2SO3Na, an aminomethanesulfonate salt.

Prime wasn't suggested as a permanent answer, basically you can never have too much biological filtration capacity. I should also have said that Prime is definitely a reducing agent, so it will use some of the oxygen (O2) in the water and reduce the pH.

cheers Darrel

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Hi all,
Well done Gee, looking very promising. I wrote

Big john is right about "Prime", it only temporarily binds ammonia. Seachem won't tell you how it works other than it "contains hydrosulfite" (could be either HSO2- or - O2S-SO2-) and "bisulfite" (HSO3-) it is not obvious whether these ingredients actually react with ammonia, or whether some other unnamed ingredients perform that function. Best guess would be that the reaction product is H2NCH2SO3Na, an aminomethanesulfonate salt.

Prime wasn't suggested as a permanent answer, basically you can never have too much biological filtration capacity. I should also have said that Prime is definitely a reducing agent, so it will use some of the oxygen (O2) in the water and reduce the pH.

cheers Darrel
if i remember correctly, the main ingredient is thiosulphate and seachem would like you not to know this..... :whistle::whistle::whistle:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Big John wrote
if i remember correctly, the main ingredient is thiosulphate and seachem would like you not to know this
they certainly aren't keen on you finding out whats in "Prime". Sodium thiosulphate is the compound that outgasses the chlorine, and will be in all de-chlorinators. The better ones will contain other compounds, we do know the content of Amquel as it has a patent.
"
One is hydroxymethanesulfonate (HOCH2SO3-). It is a known ammonia binder patented for aquarium use by John F. Kuhns and sold as Amquel by Kordon and ClorAm-X by Reed Mariculture, among others.

Ammonia's reaction with hydroxymethanesulfonate is mechanistically complicated, possibly involving decomposition to formaldehyde and reformation to the product aminomethanesulfonate (shown below).16 The simplified overall reaction is believed to be:

NH3 + HOCH2SO3- à H2NCH2SO3- + H2O

What ultimately happens to the aminomethanesulfonate in a marine or reef aquarium is not well established, but it does appear to be significantly less toxic than ammonia, and more than likely it is processed by bacteria into other compounds.
"

cheers Darrel

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Hi all,
Big John wrote they certainly aren't keen on you finding out whats in "Prime". Sodium thiosulphate is the compound that outgasses the chlorine, and will be in all de-chlorinators. The better ones will contain other compounds, we do know the content of Amquel as it has a patent.
""

cheers Darrel

God Am I glad I dont add any thing to my tanks apart from RO / HMA water

dan1801a

Aug 10, 2010
Derby
Aaaaaahhhhhh !! They are amazing !!!!!

Big Big Well Done from this end.

So glad. Baby L114's they look so good.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
I was talking to Alan who I got the male off today and he rekons it would be around the 6/7 year mark as the bloke he bought it off grew it on from 2". No idea about the female but its a good bit smaller.

Cheers

thegeeman