L114,s have spawned

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Another possibility is you could add a bit more "Prime" to the tank water, that will stop the ammonia going into the nitrogen cycle, if the nitrate is getting there by that route.

cheers Darrel
prime only delays the onset of ammonia... it bonds the ammonia up but breaks back down in your tank after a few days.... if your biological filter is up to scratch this isnt a problem as the ammonia is quickly converted into nitrite/nitrate.... if not you'll get another ammonia spike....

as good a product as prime is it has its problems too....

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Cheers
Mark

As luck would have it I have a water butt I filled last night and its now the same temp as the tank water so I have done a few water changes already.

I will do some more during tonight and see if it helps but TBH my water is pretty much **** on and have loads of other stuff spawning.

I hope I am panicking and wake up tomorrow with loads of wrigglers but watching the one thats hatched already its very weak looking with hardly any movement:dk:

Cheers

thegeeman
with larger plecos their eggs take longer to hatch than a 333 or similar hypans... they can take up to 10-14 days depending on temperature...

you can add some meth blue to help prevent fungus getting hold....

heres a pic of a removable lid cave i use.... so for those who wonder how the heck i get the eggs back in the males cave!!!! here it is.... there isnt a copyright on the cave design just remember who came up with the idea!!! bream legend and bigjohnnofish..... feel free to use it... and for any aussies reading this send jamie a pm (bream legend) and he can make these up for you... awesome caves and i very rarely use anything else.... bristlenose sized cave shown and you can see how good it is as they left me some eggs within an hour of putting the cave in...

when they are hatching up you can use a soft artists paint brush to help them get out of their egg casing.... but gently does it.....

i have found the first spawn of any species the hardest to manually hatch and raise also...
good luck and lets hope you can get some survivors.....

psionic001

Jul 2, 2009
Sydney
If you're still worried about the eggs, maybe try some MTS snails in ere with them. They'll keep the area and even the eggs clean.

Maybe get someone else to confirm this though

Higher temps will hatch faster too.

How are they this morning?

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Congrats Mate how are they going? Dont try and put them back we all know how that ends :cry:. I wouldnt bother using Methylene blue (there was an article on muscle staining in plecs) just keep the water changes up maintain a good KH if you can without altering the pH untill they get a litter larger.
MTS iv used with Hypan and Ancistrus eggs without problem.:yes:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
rather than mts snail use some water louse or small shrimp in the fry saver. they will keep eggs clean and fungus free.
looking forward to you next update when youget home, - hope its good news.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
he's away for the weekend.
i did speak to him yesterday though, and he said that the eggs were hatching, but the wrigglers were dying off almost instantly.
at a guess, i'd simply put it down to being a very young and inexperienced pair, and that the spawns will get stronger in the future

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Just got back :hi:

I fully expected to have to clean out a trap full of fungused sploge but to my total and utter amazment there are 20 or so fit and healthy suvivors :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:.

Its been a good weekend all in all:thumbup:

thegeeman

Last edited:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Excellent news Gee, the way things were when they first started hatching, i thought you were going to lose them all too, i look forward to seeing them soon

andrewcoxon

May 5, 2010
north england
Just got back :hi:

I fully expected to have to clean out a trap full of fungused sploge but to my total and utter amazment there are 20 or so fit and healthy suvivors :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:.

Its been a good weekend all in all:thumbup:

thegeeman
GET IN THERE!!!! :woohoo: