L114,s have spawned

dan1801a

Aug 10, 2010
Derby
OMG hope she ok.

Was looking at somw at my LFS yersterday and considering another tank with them in it.

She needs some TLC.

And also CON GRATS fingers crossed for you.

PS. Joby's L174 are at it as well, must be the weather !

Last edited:

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
ok, I am a bit more relaxed now

I have been watching them over the last week and lots of trapping going on.

Having a quick scan of the tank this morning I noticed that what I believed to be the male was sat in his cave fanning like thunder. There are 2 other 114 in the tank, 1@ 9"TL and the other 6" tl both of them now have tail fin damage but not as bad as I first thought. The bigger of the fish still looks nice and plump and I am pretty sure its the smaller fish thats layed the eggs as its now really skinny.

I dont hold much hope for the spawn as they all seem on the little side going by other breeding logs I have seen but I am totally over the moon.

Just took some reading's as well just for logging.

Temp 80
TDS 437:eek:hmy:
PH 6.9

I MIGHT try to get picks just incase he decides to eat them. Plus the fact you lot probably dont believe me:D

thegeeman

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
I MIGHT try to get picks just incase he decides to eat them. Plus the fact you lot probably dont believe me:D

thegeeman
they very rarely eat the eggs on their first few spawns... thats an old man pleco trait..... young males are usually on the ball.....

a lot of the bigger plecs are very rough in their breeding....

congrats - well done

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
we're you doing cold water changes and all that malarky or not?
Just doing what I would do with hypans. Fed them 20 or so prawns every night for a week and then changed 50% of the water. A few days later I watched trappings on most nights and then nearly passed out this morning:D

These fish according to what I have read are no where near the mature age to spawn. Just go to show you cant believe everything you read:D

Even if this spawn dont survive I know they will spawn again and that I have a pair:woohoo::woohoo:

Cheers

thegeeman