L114,s have spawned

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Like an expectant father Rob:D

They are fertile just hoping he doesnt munch them. My next problem is I am away from Friday night until Sunday morning playing hide and seek with the army and navy:cry:

I am hoping they hatch tomorrow but if not Friday morning

Cheers

thegeeman

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
Ah i see, not had that feeling as of yet lol

having only had eggs so far, the male can possibly eat the eggs as they are in the egg stage (i know this to be true lol) do they eat them after they have hatchd or is it all plane sailing from that point?

Hide and seek with the navy, sounds ermmm... great :D

I have a stag doo to go to :( the frown is because its in Leeds and its Fancy Dress!!!!

Hope the eggs do hatch for you in time for you to witness it all

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Mr G an outstanding achevment and a credit to your fish husbandry skills.

I am sure all will be well and I await the results.

Regards Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Not good news I am afraid.

He has kicked whats left of the eggs out (50ish) all though they look fertile they dont seem to be able to hatch out and are dying off as they hatch.

Still really chuffed with the weeks events and hopefully I will have a more promising spawns very soon

Thanks for all the positive comments people:clap:

thegeeman

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
oh bugger......

try putting the eggs back in the cave and see if the male will take up his duties again....

im guessing one of your other fish tried to get in there and he wasnt able to fight them off... may need a tighter cave mate....
measure males body at it widest point and add one pec fin width and thats prob your best width... and 1.5 times the length of your male for the length... and height of your males body plus half dorsal fin height and im sure he'll fit snugly into that.... and make your cave with a removable lid too... as when your fry are close to being ready you can raid the cave and take them more easily if need be.... and replace eggs more easily if needed too...

with young fry keep an eye on your nitrates... as low as possible as younguns dont like nitrates much higher than 10ppm...

anyway if they done it once they'll do it again.... give them 6-8 weeks if you only have the one female....

smart

Nov 8, 2009
hertfordshire
well done with the spawn gee, hoope they turn out to be ok, but as you say at least you know you have a pair and are ready to spawn

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
The last lot of eggs are now in a trap. Maybe 50-70ish. Only one of these has hatched out since I have come home and it looks very week and hardly no movement at all

I have checked the Nitrates John and they are 15ish. All the other tanks are the same readings and not experienced this before.

Anyone got any suggestions to see if I can save these?

Cheers

thegeeman

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
Look O.K.

To be honest, the eggs look fine to me, probably hatch overnight. My advice would be to change water twice a day, keep up the aeration to keep the fresh water moving over the eggs and remove any that go white or look rammy. Also change water after they hatch. But then you probably would have done all that anyway!

Once they've all hatched and debris has been discarded, they should be fine in a trap for 10 days before feeding, so your weekend away should be O.K.

Can't imagine how you could try and get them back in the cave with the male? Anyone actually ever succesfully done that (with any species)?

Hope they hatch O.K.

Cheers,
Mark.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Cheers
Mark

As luck would have it I have a water butt I filled last night and its now the same temp as the tank water so I have done a few water changes already.

I will do some more during tonight and see if it helps but TBH my water is pretty much **** on and have loads of other stuff spawning.

I hope I am panicking and wake up tomorrow with loads of wrigglers but watching the one thats hatched already its very weak looking with hardly any movement:dk:

Cheers

thegeeman

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
oh dear, keeping fingers crossed. I have had that trouble with eggs before and it seems like they have thin skin or something and seem to burst or break easily as they hatch or soon after when they try and move. happend with some LDA01 panaques eggs, i wondered if the mum was deficient in some essential mineral and added more ro-right salts and they next lot he did not kick out.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I have checked the Nitrates John and they are 15ish.
Gee, if you haven't got a NO3 reducing pod? <http://www.pozzani.co.uk/water-treatment-49/water-filters-67/product_info.html?osCsid=c6e116ebc069f6bcabf170038adc1b64> you can only reduce the level with water changes or plants. A possibility is that the nitrate is in the tap water that you are cutting your R.O. with (HMA filters don't remove NO3), you often get a nitrate spike in the tap water after the corn is cut and fields ploughed up and re-sown etc.

Have you got any Java moss or Limnobium etc. left? it will only work if you have enough light for it to photosynthesise, and I don't know enough about plec eggs to know if that much light is going to do any damage.

I've recently read that if it is really is just NO3, (rather than as the end product of the NH3 - NO2 - NO3 reaction), it isn't particularly damaging.

Another possibility is you could add a bit more "Prime" to the tank water, that will stop the ammonia going into the nitrogen cycle, if the nitrate is getting there by that route.

cheers Darrel