Matubula's Panaque Thread

IanB

Jul 21, 2011
Mid_Suffolk, UK
www.oldschoolmtb.co.uk
Thanks Matt..

I'm not a fan of that ribbed hose either. In case you think you might want to warm it up to stretch it over an outlet or anything like that... don't... it distorts like crazy!!...

Been looking into these and I'd be looking at one up to 15000litres. With a 12000lph pump.
And no UV - not that I found many that don't have it built in.
Actual flow of that, depending on which brand, would be between 50 and 75% of that.. so 7500 - 11000 lph... ideal.
But the £250 outlay(ish) is putting me off a bit.

I have a couple of other options (and I'm picking up a couple of large Eheim pumps later.. a 1262 and a Compact 5000) so I just need to engage grey matter and work out the best option.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
What about just normal smooth hosing like normal externals? Is that available in 32-40mm diameter?

What makes you think you need such a powerful filter? It just seems excessive for your tank and stocking. My main concern for a more powerful pump is the power consumption.

Have you seen the Hozelock Saturn Booster canister? It's pretty much a massive mechanical sieve pre filter for the canisters.

IanB

Jul 21, 2011
Mid_Suffolk, UK
www.oldschoolmtb.co.uk
Well.. I will have a Royal in there soonish, plus there's half a dozen baby Geo's going in (and some angels coming out).. and a slight re-shuffle for something else later in the year...

Pumping it round in the region of 10x an hour would be my aim..

That Hozelock doohickey looks ok but £200... ouch...

I have solid pipe wherever I can. Flexi is used for joining sections, nowt else.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
If you go for a 10-12000LPH pump are you thinking of having 1 or more canisters? You could have the first as your mechanical section and the other filled with bio stuff. Thinking about, with such a powerful pump it might inhibit bacterial growth because the flow through the filter media.

IanB

Jul 21, 2011
Mid_Suffolk, UK
www.oldschoolmtb.co.uk
If I did that it'd be a single pressurised one.. read some write-ups on the pond setups and a couple said that pump flow could go down by as much as 50% once it's all hooked up, depending on make and model..

My thinking was that I'd hunt around for the pump/filter combo that gave me in the region of 7000lph..

My understanding is that there is a point where it becomes pointless (or even damaging, from a bio filtration aspect) and that around 10x per hour is 'safe'..

More than happy to be educated though.. :)

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
Thats crackers, bet he had you worried when he first started to change. I thought it would be stress related but like you say he acts normal, and he kept his wiskas, be great to see his patern come back, see if its the same?

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Here's an update on the Ghost Royal, who should probably be called the Grey Royal now. It's a shame he's reverted back, but lost his stripes, I started to really like him being yellow. There's a patch on his caudal trunk that is a little pinkish.

The pics show flash/no flash.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Some new pictures for you. There's some new pictures of the Ghost Royal on the previous page if you missed them.

Tocantins

This is my unknown L027. He maintains a very dark colour with the stripes barely visible and is similar to my Tocantins but I don't know it is really. Apparently the shop I got him from had had it for 4 years prior and has barely grown with me, so is quite stunted.

'Maximus'

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I took these for a thread on PlanetCatfish in the hope sexing this fish (Maximus). What do you think it is? And if anyone else has photos like these of their large Panaque could you post them up? I think that by seeing several together we can tell what is what.

And the bane of wood and vegetables everywhere.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Maximus flexing his muscles.

The previous yellow Ghost Royal.

My largest Xingu's earning their 'platinum' common name.

And a little comparison of colour between a Xingu and Tocantin.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
it has been so long since i looked at this post and what an amazing journey and amazing photo's! I bet you had so much fun taking those pictures and was a great excuse to sit and watch them for meny more hours than you would normally!
Sorry if this is a repeat question but how meny do you have in total, do they fight?
cheers for the eye candy
respects
cc

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I have 13 Royals in total, 3 Panaque nigrolineatus L190, 8 Panaque cf. armbrusteri 'xingu' L027, 1 Panaque cf. armbrusteri 'tocantins' L027 and 1 Panaque cf. armbrusteri '?'

And Hypostomus cochliodon, Hemiancistrus L128 and Panaque maccus.

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
That vid is a cracker matt, they Do like playing with there food before a good feed, must build up a hunger lol. Great pics, does that extra dark l27 become easier to I'd when stressed?