May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Stop it now! <3
I'm not quite done :D

[clears throat]

"On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me."

"A Panaque armbrusteri."

[rapturous applause :whistle: ]

I may have taken some liberties with the pacing of this christmas favourite, and Silverdub (Alan) might not be my true love, although a few more of these might be enough to sway me <3

It's still early days but I'll see if I can get a pic as the little fella seems adventurous.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
An update for you. These couple of pictures are of my 'newly' arrived Panaque armbrusteri who has settled in well, but is very secretive, so these pics were taken in the dark guided by torch light, hence they are rubbish. But it's all I have atm. I'm really pleased to have him, I've wanted one for ages, so thanks to Alan (Silverdub) for getting it for me.

I think he is a proper Panaque armbrusteri, as opposed to a Xingu. The eyes seem a duller red and lacks the rusty/red colour in it's fins (minus the caudal). You may have thought I would numb to Panaque poo, but he produces really impressive amounts in spite of being 5-6cm. Hasn't shown much interest in veg yet (haven't tried dried foods) but there is enough wood surface for him atm.

I took the majority of the wood out of my main tank to catch one of my fellas, so consequently I saw my fish!

This is the fella I caught and moved, George, my first/oldest. The colour around his snout was worrying me, I'll make a thread in the health section about it.

Last edited:

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Really pleased you are happy with it, always nice to unite people with something they have desired for a long time. He was very secretive whilst in my tank as well, seems he like the darkest areas.

The fish the bottom right hand corner of picture 5 and the fish on the wood in picture 7 is that one of the ones you had from me a few years back with the very thick lines?

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I don't think it's one from you, yours has always kept a 0 shape in it's lines, although there two that grown very similarly but I can usually tell them apart.

what south american country are they from? beautiful fish!!
The first two pics are Panaque armbrusteri from the Rio Tapajos, Brazil. Pics 2-8 are Panaque cf. armbrusteri from the Rio Xingu, Brazil. Pic 7 (+4) is a Panaque cf. armbrusteri from the Rio Tocantins, Brazil. And the last two are Panaque nigrolineatus from Orinoco drainage in Venezuela or Colombia.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
If you can get a few pics it would be nice to see them again Matt. There might be more in the pipeline Xing/Tapajos for Feb are you interested? Also seeing if I can get some 5" Suttonorium from Magdelena (waiting for prices?)

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
If you can get a few pics it would be nice to see them again Matt. There might be more in the pipeline Xing/Tapajos for Feb are you interested? Also seeing if I can get some 5" Suttonorium from Magdelena (waiting for prices?)
I'm definitely interested for some more. Do Tocantins or Araguaia ever crop up? A little Blue Eyes would tickle my fancy but only if it's around £200, I don't think they justify their mega prices.

Here's some pics of the one from you, he's about 16cm now, and has so far kept the breaks in his lines. The pics are with flash but the third is under room lights.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I took out the two main pieces of wood for a decent poo siphon and took some pics of my little Panaque armbrusteri. His diet is almost entirely wood atm and it reflects in the amount of waste he makes, and you can see a small amount in the pics. Some with flash and others under room lights. I hadn't noticed before but it looks like he broke the bottom caudal fin spine, but it seems to be growing back (the cream white tip).

And a bonus pic.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I took this fella out, George, to heal up his nose which was worrying me. He was my first Royal plec and has grown a good amount from something like 8cm in the 4 or so years I've had him, I measured him at 23cm TL and 17cm SL.

At about 10-12cm

At about 14-15cm

At about 20cm

And now, 23cm