Matubula's Panaque Thread

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Some new ones. I was trying not to use the flash so quite a few of these have 2-4 second shutter speed and even then were under exposed, any longer my arms were shaking way too much.

I'll have something interesting to show you all soon :whistle:

Tocantins

Xingu

Big daddy

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Here's a teaser for you. And just to show that I haven't done any photoshop trickery (not that I even can) you can see a normal caudal fine as well.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
I now understand the significance of the first caudal shot, skim read it before.

Are you going to unleash an albino/xanthic Panaque on us??

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
WoW that's odd lol

How long did this take?
I'll say! About 2 months or so when I noticed it. I didn't post earlier because I wanted to be sure he wasn't dying. He's still healthy, full belly, perky eyes, active, feeding, pooing, just he's now creamy yellow. I've seen pictures of a few other ones that have done it, I think Alan/Silverdub had one that turned back.

Heres a FTS. I rearranged the wood recently and quite like it so far

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
It is a pond pump. A 6000LPH solids pump that feeds a Laguna pressurised canister. I can't be doing these sissy FX5's and 2180's :D

IanB

Jul 21, 2011
Mid_Suffolk, UK
www.oldschoolmtb.co.uk
It is a pond pump. A 6000LPH solids pump that feeds a Laguna pressurised canister. I can't be doing these sissy FX5's and 2180's :D
So it's you!!..
I knew I'd read about someone using one of those pressurised pond filters on their tank.

Looking into it myself as an alternative to a larger (better designed) sump..

Are there any concerns with the inlet strainer?? I mean with fish, children, small cars getting stuck to it?

Sorry to hijack a little but the hole in my tank can only really handle about 3000 lph and I want more like 7000.. the pressurised pond filter setup looks tailor made for just this... were there any considerations/alterations in getting it set up for aquarium use?

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
That's cool!

I don't think anyone knows why this happens do they? I know there is debate about p. aurantiacus but unless I have missed it no one will categorically state the reason they turn (and can then turn back).

Very odd, have you asked the bods over at PC?

ETA - whats in the tank on the left?

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
So it's you!!..
I knew I'd read about someone using one of those pressurised pond filters on their tank.

Looking into it myself as an alternative to a larger (better designed) sump..

Are there any concerns with the inlet strainer?? I mean with fish, children, small cars getting stuck to it?

Sorry to hijack a little but the hole in my tank can only really handle about 3000 lph and I want more like 7000.. the pressurised pond filter setup looks tailor made for just this... were there any considerations/alterations in getting it set up for aquarium use?
For the strainer/housing, the only problem I see is the size of it and having it in the tank. I've not had problems with sucking in stuff it shouldn't (cars and children I mean :clap:). There are holes about 5mm throughout it, so I'd imagine very small fish would be in trouble.

The main issue you would find with having one is where to put it. The canister isn't much larger than a Eheim 2080 but the hoses (at least on mine) attach horizontally at the top of the canister. Then theres the pipes. I use 40mm (I think) ribbed pipes which need room to bend as to not put pressure on the joints. Luckily for me, my tank has metal railings so for in/out of the tank I hooked the pipes through jubilee clips to keep them in place. I also use a couple of UPVC pipes to help direct the ribbed pipes into the tank. If I were to do it again I'd look into using rigid piping and cements/silicone to fix the pipes in place.

It undoubtedly works great and is a monster compared to traditional canister externals (perhaps save the Eheim 2262), and I doubt my tank could run without it. It has it's problems, I'm scared of mine so I leave it alone. Unless your tank is like mine I don't think it's necessary really. But I'm happy to talk more about. I could take some pictures of how mine is set up if you want?

Wow ! That a rare thing ?
I've seen maybe 5 pictures of fish like this, at least 3 were Panaque nigrolineatus. Maybe I should ship it to Japan? :D

That's cool!

I don't think anyone knows why this happens do they? I know there is debate about p. aurantiacus but unless I have missed it no one will categorically state the reason they turn (and can then turn back).

Very odd, have you asked the bods over at PC?

ETA - whats in the tank on the left?
I think some of the causes people make an argument are pH shift, water quality, stress etc all of which are reasonable but difficult to prove. I could potentially isolate the fish and try to trigger it to change back.... but I'm not.

Apart from P. aurantiacus, I've only seen a couple of species with this sort of colour morph. Psuedorinelepis genibarbis (which I posted here, search for xanthic pseudorinelepis) and a Pseudacanthicus sp. And theres Panaque bathyphilus and Hemiancistrus pankimpuju both were described as completely without pigment.

The tank on the left is for my 40cm Panaque nigrolineatus and couple of odds and sods plecs.

IanB

Jul 21, 2011
Mid_Suffolk, UK
www.oldschoolmtb.co.uk
There are holes about 5mm throughout it, so I'd imagine very small fish would be in trouble.
No small fish so that's cool..

The main issue you would find with having one is where to put it. The canister isn't much larger than a Eheim 2080 but the hoses (at least on mine) attach horizontally at the top of the canister. Then theres the pipes. I use 40mm (I think) ribbed pipes which need room to bend as to not put pressure on the joints. Luckily for me, my tank has metal railings so for in/out of the tank I hooked the pipes through jubilee clips to keep them in place. I also use a couple of UPVC pipes to help direct the ribbed pipes into the tank. If I were to do it again I'd look into using rigid piping and cements/silicone to fix the pipes in place.
My current sump is plumbed in with rigid plastic pipe, I'd see about how practical it would be to plumb this way again..

It undoubtedly works great and is a monster compared to traditional canister externals (perhaps save the Eheim 2262), and I doubt my tank could run without it. It has it's problems, I'm scared of mine so I leave it alone. Unless your tank is like mine I don't think it's necessary really. But I'm happy to talk more about. I could take some pictures of how mine is set up if you want?
That would be great if it's no bother.. the other half is paranoid about the sump for some reason and new sump/pump would set me back about £250. I reckon I could get a pressurised pond filter setup with pump for similar money.

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
Thats a funky Royal Matt, I have had them change from full stripe to fully spotted before but that one takes some beating!

I like reading about your filtration, wish I had the room to upgrade. Might have to take a serious look at it when I upgrade my tank again.

Also I managed to get a few shots of my smaller gold lines mouth the other day, still sat on my camera but im getting there lol

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
So this is the canister, I don't know what model it is but I'm pretty sure it's part of the bundle that Laguna rate for an 8000L pond or did at least. I think the canister is about 30L. Water enters at the top a circulates in O shaped area with 4 very large circular sponges, then travels through the sponges into a column that leads to bottom section which is full of plastic media and alfragog (spelling?). It then travels up the central column through the UVC and then out of the canister.

On this model there are 2 'cleaning' scrapers that you pull up and down using the bulbous hand grips on the top of the canister. I think I took them out, so have never used them but I doubt they're of any benefit, just a gimmick. The thing sticking out to the right of the centre is for direction control and you have the outlet exit through the section with the blue cap. You can drain the tank/pond this way if you want, I think they call a 'back flush'. The blue cap isn't part of it, I lost the official cap so this one is from an old bottle of stress coat water conditioner, luckily it worked.

These 'push click' connectors are a bit iffy for me. You can cut plastic to fit which pipe diameter you're using. I've attached the pipes by wrapping duct tape around the connector to make a snug fit and then secured it with a jubilee clip. So far this has worked and never leaked. The connectors themselves 'push click' on to the canister and secured with 2 rubber O rings on each. The pipes and connectors are what worry me the most, in the past the connectors have shredded the O rings and I'm not confident about how I've secured them either. The ribbed piping is so rigid the jubilee clips don't feel like they compress them much at all. Which is why I think there are better ways to secure the pipes/connectors.

And this is how I've fixed them to the tank. Luckily my tank (Rena Aqualife) has metal railings that allow me to hook jubilee clips through them and keep the pipes secure but also movable. Other tanks would need a different way to secure them in/out of the tank. The UPVC pipes are from B&Q and are just simple plumbing pipes to direct the pipe into the tank.

And this is the tank and filtration in it's entirety. I've only recently noticed that the FX5 and has a little leak, so I'll be trying a new filter soon as I don't like it much. It'll either be a Eheim 2260 or Maidenheads own brand 2200LPH external (looks like a Tetratec copy but only 30W).

On the whole it's an excellent filter with just the pipe/connectors that worry me. I haven't cleaned it for years and still pumps about 2000LPH. Writing about it has made me want to open it and see what I find in there.