Matubula's Panaque Thread

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
It's different looking that's for sure.

What do you think it is?
:dk: I always had a suspicion it was a 'Tapajos' but when stressed it has 'Xingu' colours, and then the permanent dark brown colour is confusing. It has very dark eyes as well. It's a stunted fish, I remember the guy at the shop said it had been there for 4 years, which has done some 'damage' to him. I'm pretty sure it has grown with me, perhaps if it continues he might change with size.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I moved my little L027 'Tapajos' into my main community tank earlier today. I took the pictures before and during the transition. I measured him and was surprised he was at 10cm TL, so I must have underestimated a fair bit. The first thing I noticed when he was with the big boys is just smaller/larger they are. The increase in girth/bulk is enormous even though there's just a few cm difference.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
And some of the 'big' boys he's playing with.

The greying Ghost Royal.

And a little retrospective. You can't judge the scale/size difference very well, but they are the same fish [also in the photo above, top right corner]

winglion

May 14, 2012
China
Some Taiwanese say there are three kind of "thunder", from Tapajos, Teles Pires, Jatoba . I really can't tell the different of the later two.

From what I understand, and from internet image search result, their color and pattern ,body shape change a lot as they grow, let alone the environment influences. For a Tapajos, your fish got a very thick line.

I found a picture of very attractive "golden thunder", it maybe from Tapajos too? What do you think?

From Japanese website I only found two kind of thunder (different name,first is royal thunder the 2nd I can't understand), the 2nd one maybe from Teles Pires?

Last edited:

hiplecoman

May 29, 2010
honolulu, hawaii
thunder royals

the thunder royals I have seen are adults from Tapajos. instead of horizontal
lines going from the head to the caudal fin these have a splintered pattern. the lines break up in the middle of the body. the lines are considerably thinner on thunder royals. very expensive fish but worth their weight in gold.

hiplecoman

May 29, 2010
honolulu, hawaii
thunder royals

the thunder royals I have seen are adults from Tapajos. instead of horizontal
lines going from the head to the caudal fin these have a splintered pattern. the lines break up in the middle of the body. the lines are considerably thinner on thunder royals. very expensive fish but worth their weight in gold.
the tapajos thunder royal has yellow eyes.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
You really have a wonderful talent for photography and of course taste in pleco's.! Respect to you and them cc