Whos breeding atm?

May 24, 2010
Gold Coast
I've had a young group of L201's breed recently along with a few L144 long fin spawns.

It's been a couple of months since the L134's have spawned. With a few storms and warm days ahead I'm sure it won't be long before they kick off again.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
My L066 kicked the previous fry out and the silly thing kicked out half his wrigglers from the next spawn out as well.
Nothing seems to be bothering the little wrigglers zooming about on the bare bottom tank so I am just leaving them alone this time.

Last time I stole his fry and wrigglers he sulked and didnt breed again for a few months.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
I must have faulty L270's then cause I can't even get them to start lol.

Stole a couple L201 wrigglers from the males cave. There was this wierd worm in there which I killed. Maybe I finally got to the bottom of why the male seems to kick wrigglers and eggs out too early?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
I have figured out how to make partitions so while I am culling a couple of tanks less.
I don't have to sell off any plecos unless they are excess males or fish from downsizing colonies.

When I move to my beach house the fishroom won't be big enough to take a center room row of tanks, just the outside perimeter.

On the plus side, I should be able to get better full tank photos as atm its a bit narrow between tanks for anything like that. Still have to build in a wall for the new fishroom so won't be moving just yet.

Had some promising plecs looked like they might breed but lost a female L134 out of it. I have moved the pair left to a tank a bit easier to inspect now so I can keep an eye on the remaining female. Excess male is for sale.

Vampire looked like he had something happening in his log. Was fanning like crazy. So much so that he tobogganed his cave all along the back wall. I waited 2 weeks before I pulled the cave forward to look in but no eggs or fry. Hey, at least he's keen lol.

L066 male has released his fry into the tank and it looks great of a night when they zoom up and down the front glass. He seems to have stopped kicking wrigglers and eggs out now.

Ummmm not real sure about the male L066 in the other tank. I think I might have put 4 girls together with no male lol. I will be catching again and taking pics soon to check.

The L270 are still stuffing around. I think there might be too many males in the colony of 8 so will catch again soon and see whats doing. I have a lower more private tank for them to move into once I select the keepers.

Need to sort out the L333's into 2 colonies too once I make a partition. The adults stay on each side but fry, endlers and cardinal tetras can pass from one side to the other quite easily.

Partition pic.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I think I will partition my 4 foot tanks & split my 66 & 134 colonies if they haven't bred by say March. I run an eheim 2217 canister in each tank so hopefully that is adequate filtration. What is the partition made of that you use please Brengun?
Also where are the suction caps from?
Thanks a lot :)

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks for that. I'll look online because there are no decent lfs's near me since St george closed

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
I bought sheets of eggcrate and cut my own dividers. I like the big 1cm squares which let little fish pass once side to the other but not the plecos.

Be careful in the feeding of both sides, you dont want one side scoring the lot on the current and the other side having none.

Pet city in Brisbane has the sheets, not sure if they post out though. Airconditioning shops might have it as venting supplies.

Last edited:

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Great thanks I will do that. I've never seen eggcrates around here. I'll have a look at bunnings :)
Thanks again

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
No luck at bunnings but I did find a supermarket with an old bread crate they said I could have. It has 1cm holes & is pretty sturdy
Once the suction cups arrive I'll be ready to go.
Thanks again

Pirarucu

Jan 6, 2010
Gold Coast (Queensland)
Woke up this morning and found royal whiptail eggs on outlet pipe of canister filter and alot too it's really covered in them...also 2 weeks ago had a look inside of peppermint tank and found baby peps scattered everywhere...nothing really to brag about, atleast there all happy and getting along.