Whos breeding atm?

Strals

Jul 28, 2013
Marrickville
I've had fish for years but never really tried to breed them until recently - had bristlenoses for years. 'Accidentally' bred a few albino bristlenoses earlier in the year. Now I've become addicted! hehe

I've bought some more bristlenoses - longfins.

Have had one big batch of albino shortfins recently.

A couple of months ago I bought some adult peppermints - they seem to breed every 3 weeks - a few issues at first - fungus, my lack of experience etc which meant the first few batches didnt progree - now have between 80-100 fry at about 3 weeks of age and some more eggs in the fry saver today!

At what age do you take them out of the fry saver? What sort of tank set up is good for a grow out tank?

many thanks

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Its addictive isn't it lol. If my frysaver fry aren't really big enough to be released or moved to a grow out tank yet, I put the eggs or wrigglers in a sieve in the top of the frysaver until their egg sacks are absorbed and they are hardy enough to mix with the older fry.

I most prefer moving fry to a grow out at about 3cm or so. When they look like they can do a day or two without eating while they settle in the new tank and get their bearings.

Hooked

Oct 12, 2013
Australia
Hi gang,
I'm 5 days into my first L number spawn. Royal whiptails. So far so good..... About 120 hatched out and have lost on average 1-2 a day. They started actively feeding more today. Fingers crossed.... I've got a lot (all) to learn.
Loving it! : )

S smith

Jul 14, 2013
OFFICER
16>002 on eggs, 2>long fin a/b/n on eggs, 3>b/n on eggs, 3>a/bn on fry, 11>104 growing, 6>066 growing, 14>201s should be breeding ??

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
it seems to be working for me at the moment.... :)

got a heap of fry from a spawn over 2 years ago to add into the colony soon or perhaps i'll tax an older male and give them all their own tank....

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
I currently have young from my 2 groups of L333, L038, L181, L338 and hypan sp 'Rio Guaviare' I still have no fry from my L028 as the trappings either end with no eggs or if there is eggs the male eats them. My L066 and L002 seem to be on a long break after spawning monthly for over a year. It's definitely swings and roundabouts with this lot :)

Chard56

Feb 5, 2013
Harrison, Arkansas
www.aquabid.com
I just took a dozen 1/4 inch ABN's out and put them in a Guppy fry tank. My first ABN spawn. I set up some Calico BNs in another tank. I have been selling Bettas on Aquabid for about 4 years and added Guppies, Angelfish and whatever else I can breed and raise. Now I can start adding ABNs too. I want to work my way up to some Galaxies or some of the more exotic ones. I'm trying to get the front of my store/house together and open a little fish store soon.

Fergo

Oct 24, 2013
Sydney
Just had my first ever spawn over Christmas. Went away for a week and just got home.
Went to check on the L144 fry that I brought and was surprised to see my common BN have spawned.
I can count up to 30 so there will be a lot more hidden in the plants and wood, most of them are already out of the cave swimming around.

So now I know that I need to leave them alone for a few days for them to do the deed.
Very Happy

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
Within the last few days I've had spawnings from L066, L038, L002, L262. My Hypan sp Rio Guaviare and L333 are also trapping :D

Jul 9, 2009
sunshinecoast
l037

another 40 or so l037 kikn around , 3ft by 15 by 15 tank , 3 sponge filters , and a water change when i cant see them , no internal filtration , 25degrees , ph ? aquatopia algae waffers , and zuchinni , for a feed , bamboo log as a home , and a dark tank , 2 girls and a boy , and trevs guppies laid eggs , finally , yep he even took pics
the fry dropped out as embrios , in egg sacks , some lived and some never had swimming lessons , i knew guppies could lay eggs , pictures worth a thousand fry :clap: well done trev , even though they didnt breed true , and they cost over a hundred $ for the trio , u can thank fish chik for the memorable pics :woohoo: