Zeb males in trouble

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I'd keep up with the Myxazin, it seems it is doing the trick..
Something with Aloe might help at this point as well...
It will take some time by the looks of it, a week or two of intensive treatment..

Last edited:

lcrazy

Oct 11, 2009
camden
In the years i have kept plecs, I have only ever used 4 products that aid in treatment,
1st is Melafix, great for open wounds and ulcers, Pimafix, great for Ulcers and parasitic infection, Myxazin awsome for fungal disease and Sterazin Awesome for parasite infections, Id say if the wound is clearing up using Myxazin it is a fungal problem.

lcrazy

Oct 11, 2009
camden
Remember be careful when using mela or Pim as the bubbles that come with treatment is all the dissolved Oxygen coming out of the water and to the surface, be sure to counteract this with an extra air stone when treating.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I decided not to overly stress him last night with pics and just added the Myxazin dose as per usual. Correct dose this time. :)

Lcrazy, I think you have your fungicides mixed up. Myxazin is more antibacterial and Protozin is more fungicide, although both carry much the same ingredients, just in differing rates.

http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/aqudistr.htm

CUPRAZIN (Protozoacide/Fungicide) (Details)
For the treatment of Whitespot, Costia and other Fungal infections in seawater aquaria only. Do not use in aquaria containing invertebrates, macro algae, Sharks, Rays, or Harlequin Tuskfish.

MYXAZIN (bactericide) (Details)
A treatment for Ulcers, Fin-Rot, Body Rot and other bacterial related diseases in all aquaria.

OCTOZIN (Flagellated Protozoa) (Details)
For the treatment of "Hole-in the-Head", Spironucleus, Dropsy, Malawi Bloat, Sleeping Sickness and Whitespot in all aquaria.

PARAZIN (Parasiticide) (Details)
Fish lice (Argulus), anchor worm (Lernea), gill maggots (Ergasilus) are just some of the horrific parasites/predators, which can attack fish and are almost invisible to the naked eye. New Parazin destroys these and other insect and crustacean parasites/predators found in aquaria.

PROTOZIN (Protozoacide/Fungicide) (Details)
For the treatment of Whitespot, Fungus, Velvet and Costia in tropical freshwater and coldwater aquaria only. Do not use when mormyrids (i.e. Elephant Nose, Dolphin Fish), Sturgeon and Sterlets are present.

STERAZIN (parasiticide) (Details)
For the treatment of Gill and Body Flukes. Do not use when crustaceans (i.e. Crabs, Shrimps), echinoderms (i.e. Sea Urchins, Starfish), s/w Sharks, Rays, Piranha, Sturgeon and Sterlets are present.

Otozin and Parazin I have not seen in Australia just the other three.

I am not a fan of the Melafix or Pimafix since I dosed a tank with half strength Mela and killed a glass catfish outright with it, and he was the only one in the tank who actually wasn't sick!

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Update day 7. Still keeping the water clean with a small siphon and wc daily. Not much food is left and the little zeb is mobile and getting around ok.
Keeping up the Myxazin more as a preventative to guard against infection than an actual treatment. Likewise I have added an almond leaf.
Last week when I added BigL Levamisole the inflammation seemed to reduce well so I added another dose this week.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
kenalog in orabase

Hi all,
Does look fairly nasty.

You could try a corticosteroid ointment to see if it reduces the swelling. I've used "Adcortyl in Orabase" (it is a water-proof ointment for treating human mouth ulcers), on a male Apistogramma with a larger, but more superficial, wound.

I found out about it via some friends who both go fishing and keep Koi carp (it is used widely by both fraternities in the UK). It worked really well, possibly because as it forms a water resistant film over the wound. It has been discontinued in the UK due to "licensing issues", but I'm pretty sure it is still available over the counter in Australia as "kenalog in orabase".

The words to look out for are "triamcinolone acetonide in oromucosal paste".

cheers Darrel

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
however it may be a cancer and there is a limit to what you can do
I'm not a clinician of any description, but my first thought was the same as Irene's, that it may be a tumour. If it is a tumour it won't shrink if you try an anti-inflammatory.

cheers Darrel

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
been following this thread intently. Hoping he gets better brengun, he deffo looks it. Wow that looks like a very gravid zeb..

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I thought same thing, just could bring myself to say it...I do hope Irene & Darrel are wrong...
Does look like it is getting better tho...albeit ever so slow...

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Day 11. Looks like someones been eating and putting on weight. :clap:
Have only UV, almond leaf and small wc now. I left the cave lid open a slit for water current to go thru. Still have 2 baby endlers for company so he doesnt get lonely. :lol:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes its looking better so keep doing whatever you are doing.
not so sure about the 'gravid' other one, looks like it could be a well fed male (but I admit i am useless at sexing.!!) it has quite a triangle head and good hair on pec fins...
but quite short nosed which is in favour of female.

might be easier to sex with pics of the two side by side for comparison. have you any pics taken earlier at all?
what do other zeb keepers think??

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
to me (she) looks very female....

i would probably let her rejoin the male.... i think the male has a tumor and it isnt infectious... maybe let him try and slip the female into his cave for a big of jiggy jiggy....lol....(could be his last chance :cry:)

but thats a big decision for you to make bren...