Zeb males in trouble

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Just as well I shone the torch in my zeb males cave I would never have seen this. He has a sore or something on his head near his gills.
He is the only male and shares the 2ft tank with one female.
Any idea what it is?
I have uploaded as big a pic as I can in the gallery so just click on the pic for bigger a pic.

L273

Oct 5, 2010
worcester, UK
looks like a tumour or something similar. definately not parasitic, have you tested you water to see if there's been any fluctuations or abnormalities?

i would say methylene blue it but we still don't know what exactly it is. is the zeb still feeding and doing what it normaly does?

sorry i couldn't help more,
Tom

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Meth blue is nasty horrible stuff that i would steer clear of, especially when we are unsure of the cause. Do you have access to any alder cones? they have excellent antifungal properties and are natural.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
I was thinking maybe he had a tussle in his log with the female and her pec fin pierced his body? From there its granulated and become proud flesh? If you magnify it, there are still hairs and pigment in it.

At least he's in one of those safety caves with the removable top so I can keep an eye on him. I will do some water tests today and see if the ph etc are stable.

Just in the off chance it is a worm inside I dosed with BigL as it has a bit of a tonic property as well. Going to have to be really careful to keep the water pristine on this one. May move the female if I can so she's not copping all the disturbance as well.
Well I think its female. Might do piccies of her as I move her and make sure I haven't had two males together.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Ouch Brenda.. Poor bugga, that does look sore,
It looks like a puncture would that has a secondary problem happening, that redder lump in the middle looks like it could have been a puncture maybe..Just a guess...
Where would one acquire these alder cones?
Best of luck with him Brenda...

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
oh dear, looks nasty, could be an ulcer or tumour. if it gets bigger may have to take to vet to lance it. but if an injury from fight or burn it should heal as long as you have some anti-bacterial meds to stop infection setting in. good luck

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Dare I say it he looks better tonight. I redosed with myxazin but had a blonde moment and overdosed it instead of 2.5ml per 75L I did 9ml to 64L. :whistle:
I have pulled an 8th of the water out, added a couple of guppy fry to see response and if they look stressed I will do a more extensive wc.
At the least in a little while I will do one more 2bucket wc to dilute further.
Piccies :D

BTW the other zeb in the tank is in a cave and when I shine a torch in it paddles the back fins. Betcha I have put 2 males together. :wb:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
good, looks less angry so hopefully will heal.
best check the other zeb is female in case there has been a fight. not that they are easy to sex!

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
always go for melafix and pimafix as first option as both are natural products...

but it looks like its settling down.... glad you have removable lids on the caves now i bet????

good luck with him and update with another pic soon.... :thumbup:

graham26

Jul 15, 2009
Berkshire
always go for melafix and pimafix as first option as both are natural products...

but it looks like its settling down.... glad you have removable lids on the caves now i bet????

good luck with him and update with another pic soon.... :thumbup:
I agree i always use both together covers more possibilites than treating with just the one on its own

Good luck i hope he pulls through ok

tutters187

Jul 5, 2010
Caboolture QLD AUS
Hey Bren,
looks like it has a nasty bacterial infection hopefully "it's not a tumour", you could try applying betadine cream or liquid to the area as well to help disinfect the fish's body.