L400 tank problem

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Hello people

I have a problem with a female 400 and I am really worried I am about to lose her.

Yesterday I checked my nitrates and they were off the charts (chart goes to 120). I believe the problem with nitrates might have come from the black quartz gravel which is really fine so collects the crap well. I do 25% w/c,s everyday and vac once a month.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Temp 82c
ph just below 7

This morning she looks very stressed and breathing is really rapid. She is still in her normal postion but something isnt right. I really really want to help her but have not experienced this sort of thing before.
Also in the tank are 4 other 400,s, 6 cory metae and some rummy nose tetras which all look fine and are breathing normally

I have meds to use but with out knowing what it is I am reluctant to treat.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers

thegeeman

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
It would be the nitrates.

Have you done a water change yet? and increased the aeration?

If it is the gravel, you'll def have to increase vacuums

Is there somewhere else she could go?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
The other thing is, im not sure that adding meds will help, they may stress her even more.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
got exactly the same thing with my L411 breding tank, seems me and gee had similar experiances yesterday with the black gravel :wb:

ive removed all the gravel from mine and also the UG filter, a few of the adults are in the same situation as your L400 gee, looking very very stressed and breathing a bit heavy they are still looking the same today. all im doing is 2 water changes a day of about 20% to get the nitrates right down, mine wernt quite as high as yours but at 120 ish its still not good

fingers crossed for your female, not sure what else to suggest but i agree meds probably arent called for in this case

kev

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
thanks people.

I use prime so that should help abit. I will do another wc today to bring the nitrates down. I have gone the same way as kev and removed the gravel for the moment. Good point about aeration doodles, I will go and add some more.

Fingers crossed

So just for information does rapid breathing relate to high nitrates?. Just weird the the others are fine.

I hope scatz doesnt see this thread as its one of his dads 400,s:eek:hmy:

Cheers

thegeeman

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Its lack of oxygen usually, can happen when temps too high or problems with gills.
Sometimes the oxygen isn't passing through the gills properly, which could be caused by the high nitrates.

Saying that, bacterial and/or parasites can cause heavy breathing too but given the fact that the nitrates are so high, i would think its that.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Ok Nitrates are back to 30ish so I am feeling more confident now. She is still has rapid breathing but maybe it will slow down over the next few days.

Cheers for the help people

thegeeman

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
fingers crossed for you...

I had a mass die off of our L183 fry about 3 weeks back - thought it was just because they didnt start eating but now i think about it the UGF powerhead is rattling a bit (meaning its struggling to draw water)...

I'll strip it and clean it out tonight I think

Fingers crossed for you Gee.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
can you reduce the temp by a couple of degrees?, just until she stabilises.
the tank temp is quite high, normal for hypans i know, but when something like this happens with the nitrates, the lower levels of O2 in the warm water will effect them very quickly.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
can you reduce the temp by a couple of degrees?, just until she stabilises.
the tank temp is quite high, normal for hypans i know, but when something like this happens with the nitrates, the lower levels of O2 in the warm water will effect them very quickly.

hmmmmm never thought of that. Will do

Cheers

thegeeman