L27 WHITE SPOTS

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
At the weekend i lost my l190 i think he starved as in my previous post.

I have now noticed a problem with my Big L27. he seems to have white patches on him (as photos). I have been doing 50% water changes since sunday and after my water change last night i added KUSURI.

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
Noticed it tonight. Just being reading that article as it make sense after the stress it has had in the last few days.

My water temp is at 28 should I turn it down?

I'm getting worried.

Thanks

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
sorry to hear this. Just out of curiousity, do you have any place for him to really hide ? I am not talking about a big branch etc , but a large cave or similar to make him feel more secure if he has been stressed . Maybe look at getting a PVC pipe for him. just ny thoughts and hope you get him fixed up. cheers jk :thumbup:

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
I could stick some 4" plastic pipe in there. Should I do this now and remove some of the wood. There are no caves in the tank but loads of bogwood.

The white patches are like 8mm across(although one is bigger) its dull white around the edge then darker in the middle.

He is eating some courgette as I speak.

Please help guys thanks

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i have never had any L27s or L190, so I am just thinking open and honest here.

1. You have stated that the other one died as you think he starved. What else are you feeding apart from the wood to rasp on ?
2. Is the wood new or from the woods or a good retailer ?
3. I would add the pipe but also leave the wood. I think the pipe might help his stress.
4. I would also start with the 2 fixes, cant harm in any way.
5. Maybe the 50% water changes are to dramatic for him, maybe cut down to 30%.
6. Add and airstone or water movement for more oxy flow
7. Any chance of a close up of this white spot ?
thats what comes up in my mind at the moment cheers jk :thumbup:

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
Ok thanks jk

1. He is feeding on sweet pot, cucumber broccoli stalks and courgette.
2. The wood is from aquatic shops
3. Ok cool I will add the pipe tomorrow for stress.
4.what do you mean by the two fixes? In the panaque plague article?
5. Ok I will cut the water changes. I haven't done any water change tonight as I added the dewormer last night and I think it takes 4 days.
6.the top of the water us like white water rappidsvwith the filter. I could pick up a air stone
7.i will try get some more pics tomorrow

Do you think I should get some copper sulphate and start treating as pp?

Thanks for your input

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
wow i would never add coper.
the two fixwes are melafix and pimafix, these are 100% natural medications most LFS have these. cheers jk :thumbup:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Personally id use the copper. Based on what the article said, whether it is or isnt panaque plague (it does look similar to the artucle pictures but ivr seen it look different) if it helped id try it. Especially considering that panaque plague can be quick and devastating. Then again ive used copper in the past with no ill efect so amnot scared to use it.

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
I have added melafix (as that's all I had) I will go to lfs today and pick up some pimafix and coper sulphate and aquarium salt.

I have come down this morning to see all the veg I had put in last night had been eaten. The white patches look slightly better. I turned the temp down to 21 on my heater but it is showing 26 so I will go lower.

I don't want to add loads of meds and kill my fish!

I will try and get some more pics.

Any more help would be good. Thanks guys

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
Looking at the article again. The patches on mine are more on the skin rather than in the skin if you know what I mean.

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
Does anyone know where i can get aquari-sol (Copper sulfate) in uk? i have tried my lfs they have never heard of it. is there another brand that makes it?

Thanks

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
ok thanks for the research. I spoke to Rare aquatics and they advised me to try a vet for copper sulphate. I have tried everywhere for copper sulphate and no luck.

Do you think i should try Esha 2000 and esha Exit?

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
It looks more like a fungus. I will post some in 10 mins. I managed to get some copper sulphate but its pure so I'm unsure of the dose.