L losses

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
Nah it's inside, tap water with peat, almond leaves and wood and I have it circulating with a power head. The breeder trap has an air stone in it now, and if the 333 shows signs of improvement tomorrow I'll move it over to the tank the apistos are now in, I think it's a bit big to be in the breeder with the little 201's. they do have some driftwood in there to hide in though. I'm taking it as a good sign that they are all still alive as I lost the other 4 L's in a matter of half an hour, man what a disaster

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
Haven't ruled it out yet lol, lost another 201 this morning and 1 of the last 2 is looking ordinary. Not sure what to do now with the 3ft....

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
Just don't know what could have had such a devastating effect on just the cats though, no I'll effects on the apisto's or the little fry I had in there

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I had something like that once and I never did find out what it was and I have never seen it again.
Like you I had introduced new fish L260 juvies but in a different tank beside some zeb fry I had bought several weeks before.

The L260 would one by one suddenly sit out in the open like statues with no visable problem on their bodies. They would die sitting like that within 12 hours. It took 3 days to kill them all and no amount of meds or water changes could reverse it.

Somehow I introduced whatever it was on my hands from the L260 tank to the zeb tank and they started dying off one by one the same as the L260 did.

In desperation I grabbed the last zeb and tossed it in a 4ft tank which was for whiptail colony, barely 25C and it lived! Suctioned onto a sponge filter and stayed there for a few months just feeding on whatever came its way.

I never did figure out if it was something that came with the L260 like a disease or if I had something on my hands at the time. 3 other tanks either side of the problem 2 tanks never had any problems and they pretty much all got the same foods.

Both tanks were properly cycled as I had taken out fish from the tanks to other tanks to create species only tanks for the zebs and L260.

I never saw anything like that ever happen again and its been about 4 years now so don't give up. Could have just been a wierd one off thing. :thumbup:

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
I hope so, it appears to have affected the fins and bodies of the cats. The sole surviving 333 appears to have some flaking/damage to the skin and it has eaten away at the tail, almost like a burn or the skin/fins have died. I am worried ill spread whatever it was to the fish in the tank that the fry saver is in....

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
It could be something that needs a catfish host to keep on going. If you have no more affected fish you might be fine? If you are worried about the one in the frysaver then just leave it in there quaranteened and observe the rest of the tank. It may not have picked up whatever was rampant in the other tank.

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Damn sorry to hear mate, oodinium is a *******. It is what near wiped me out from fish keeping altogether about 4 years ago.

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
Little, 2.5cm for the 201's. trying to beat this now, may have spread it to other tanks. Stupid I know but I thought it was the water at first, and not something the fish were carrying

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
You can look for treatment for the following oodinium, velvet or gold dust disease. I have seen these names all used same problem. I use tri-sulfa and keep the tank in total darkness. You might also want to touch base with who ever you got them off in case they have the disease too and are not aware of it.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Here is 123clayt quoted: protozin i used to treat it full dose once in the morning and once at night 50% water change every second day then full dose again after water change so basically I used it at double strength only thing that worked.Double dosing didnt hurt the fish including babies.

Thanks Clayton. :)

Last edited:

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
I am using ichonex at the moment, 1 of 2 treatments recommended to me as the only options (protozin being the other) fingers crossed, the last 201 looks like it will pull through

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who offered advice and support throughout this drama. It has been a steep learning curve, and not the start to keeping L's I had hoped to have but the support from the L community has been great. Not sure when ill take on some more L's, but I still remain very interested in these great fish and plan to remain active on here in the hope I'll learn as much about these fish as possible! I must admit I've fallen in love with a lot of them, 264 in particular

Last edited:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi, I have been following your thread. Sorry for your losses, totally sucks. Good that you were able to find the cause.

Don't give up on L's. I know (REALLY) it is hard after a disaster to want to try again, but give yourself a few weeks to re-group yourself ,and try again. If you have a q-tank, that would be great, if not, take a real good look at what else is in the store tank, and ask a lot of questions. Ask how long they have had them AND the other fish in that tank. 2 or more weeks is better. But it is never a sure thing, no matter the source, and they may 'credit' you for a percentage of the losses, the last ones they sold you ,but that depends on the store .

If you love them like we do, give it a go again after a bit, and if you can, pick up a small q-tank to give you peace of mind . Hang in there, many of us have been through disasters at some point, but seems many of us dig um so much ,we can't help ourselves and we forge ahead. Personally, I would not have tanks if I didn't have my blue phantoms!

Good luck with whatever you choose.