L losses

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
Came home today to find 2 dead cats in the black water tank:( I lost a 201 and a 333, both are juvies with the 201 being 2cm and the 333 at around 4cm. I don't know what happened, water is fine, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and minimal nitrate. Any body have any thoughts?? The 333 had some red in the gills but there didn't look to be anything visibly wrong with the 201. I'm devastated, and am terrified of losing any more. The apitso's in the tank are all fine and showing no sign of distress.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Sorry for the loss. How long had they been in the tanks and what other tankmates are in there?
What is the ph of the tank?

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
Just lost another 201:( the 201's have been in a week, 333 about 1 month. Ph is 7, trying to get it down. They are in there with 5 apisto. Abacaxis which are doing fine. I have moved the 201's fry saver to another tank in an attempt to stop whatever is going on:(

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Ah no mate, that sucks. I thought the 333's had settled in and were doing great. I'll have a dig through some of my literature and see what I can turn up.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Can you give more details on your setup. Tough to even begin to guess given the info provided. Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is only the tip of the iceberg as things go. Are these adult fish or fry, approximately how old?

Has any other fish been added recently?

Be cautious with the ph. L201 and l333 aren't Blackwater species. Ph 7 should be okay.

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
201 are fry at 2-2.5cm, 333 is (and were) 4.5cm. Last fish added were the 5 201. Other inhabitants are (now moved to another tank) 5 apisto sp. abacaxis. No signs of distress with the apitso's. tank decor: river sand substrate, driftwood and Indians almond leave's, filtered with 2 internal power head filters turning over approx 1000lph. Tank set up about a month ago with pre cycled filters (internals)

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
How long ago were the 201's added? Did you Q them? If everything else was running fine I would be concerned that the 201's MAY have introduced something. The fist thing that pops to mind with red gills is ammonia/nitrite issues, but that's at a zero reading. Have they been eating fine, has there been any weird behaviour lately?

Just had a thought of how old are your test kits?

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
Nah not Q'd, bout from a very reputable source (though that is no guarantee I know). Seemed to be eating fine, had been worried about the 333's eating but have seen signs of late of them munching on Zucchini. 201's were eating zucchini that was in the fry saver at all times (changed daily) and shrimp pellets every 3 or 4 days. Test kits were not mine, went to my local LFS. I did think ammonia was the likely culprit but I am stumped with the readings. Also stumped that the apisto's were not at all bothered (as far as I can tell) and the mystery fry is still alive and very much kicking in it's own fry saver

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
How deep is the sand substrate ans how often do you clean it. A common fry killer is substrate issues. Often plecs and bootom dwellers canbe affected whenothers are not due to their proximity to the substrate.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Missed the part about the fry saver but same issues can exist if fry saver isnt cleaned often.

Hypancistrus are mostly carnivorous are should get a bit more meaty stuff. Though dont think this has anthing to do with your problem.

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
Main tank was feed on frozen brine, at lights out I was feeding shrimp pellets and sinking wafers sparingly to avoid water issues. Tank cleaned 1-2 times per week with 25-30% water change

-Pete-

Mar 17, 2013
Perth
Sorry for your losses.

If all parameters are acceptable, I'd be adding more oxygen via airstones etc till you get to the bottom of it.

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
All fish have been moved and I've shut the tank down, not sure what to do, kinda dejected to be honest at this stage. Time for a long think and a re-assess

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Mate you worked too hard to set that tank up. Leave it running at least. I'm stumped for ideas though to be honest.

Kerrin

Mar 29, 2013
Illawarra
It's still running, just with substrate, wood and leaves are out. Still have 3 201's and 1 333 in the fry saver in the 4ft, seem to be hanging in there. I think something may have been introduced during the water change yesterday, maybe from the bin I age the water in. It's the only explanation I can think of for such a crash!

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Is the water ageing bin outside or do you use rainwater? I have heard of folks having massive losses due to chemicals getting into their water supplies, either settling on a tub outside or chemical residue into rainwater tanks. Though it seems odd that the apistos did not suffer at all. Plenty of aeration will help if they have stressed gill areas.