HELP my L333 is missing a tail

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
thanks brenda i will do that, thats such a good idea and yeah thats exactly what happened was away for 2 days and infection took hold. here's a photo i just took the wound looks better hopefully it will get over it and live.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
wow looks much better. I am sure it will be doing ok. i would still keep in there for a couple of more days to monitor and fatten up. Good news I hope cheers jk :thumbup:

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
Thanks bigbird those are the words I've been waiting to hear. I really love this fish and don't want it to die

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
been following this thread. You must be doing a very good job of taking care of him, his wound looks so much better . Please keep us informed on how he is doing. Thanks and good luck with him.

Georgie

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
Thanks zeebo he does look better doesn't he I will take more picture in a few day to update on his health thanks again

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
absolutely, looks so much better and when it is healed completely, I dont see why he cant live out his normal life ,just without a tail. He is in an aquarium, not out there in the wild where he might be a target, he is well taken care of by you and if you can make sure the other fish didnt get him ,as others have mentioned as a possibility, and he is put in a safe tank, he should be fine .He is a trooper ,esp from the first pic to the most recent , wow !

Georgie

Rocky

Feb 5, 2012
brisbane
Wow that is one big wound. Put some almond leaf in the tank also. That will help protect the fish from a fungal infection on a "natural" level that most medications can miss even melafix can miss some things. Break the leaf up a bit so that it will release its natural tannins quicker. Don't worry if your fish eats the leaf it's very good for there intestines. All the best mate keep us all informed of how it goes

Last edited:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Keep doing the Betadine dip, making sure you dry it a bit...it has brilliant anti viral anti bacterial properties..Keep the water clean, and he might make it yet, the prognosis is better than the other day, so well done you, You are on to it :D

Zebra Pleco

Retired Staff
Nov 18, 2010
Gardenstown, NE Scotland
www.zebra-plec.com
Wow, what a difference. Its amazing isn't it. I was telling someone about this the other day. If this was a guppy or a mollie, it would of been thrown in the bin he said. WHAT !!!!!. The mentality of some people.

Well done, the plec has lovely colours, not looking stressed at all. I cannot see any reason, why this fish won't recover fully and live a good life, tail or no tail.

Sky, your a credit to the industry and hobby.

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
thank you everyone for crossing your fingers and toes for this little guy, i think he knows that everybody cares for him and with that he said i will keep on living and get better, lol. and here is an update of how he is just taken today after work. he looks so much better and the wound looks to be healing over, thank god. i think he will pull through this after all.
here is the update photos

and this is how he looked 10 days ago (just to compare)

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
does he have a cave in the fry saver?
hi sky, glad he is doing so well, he sure has a lot of us rooting for him, and hope he is over the hump now . Does look much better.

As for the cave quetion , I imagine it would make him feel more secure ,rather than being out in the open, and feeling safe can go a long way in less stress and healing.

Georgie

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
When its all healed you might find the tail filaments grow odd and long.
I had a L134 with one long tendril of fin and the other L134's attacked and killed her.
The worst damage was around that fin.
Yours might be happier and safer to live out its life in a fry tank or something?

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
hi sky, glad he is doing so well, he sure has a lot of us rooting for him, and hope he is over the hump now . Does look much better.

As for the cave quetion , I imagine it would make him feel more secure ,rather than being out in the open, and feeling safe can go a long way in less stress and healing.

Georgie
Yes thats exactly why i was asking :)