HELP my L333 is missing a tail

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
hi everyone i have a big problem, would love help from everybody thanks
my 333 was stuck in a tiny gap of a log a few days ago i left it alone for awhile, a couple hours went by and it seem to be still very stuck. Fearing for its life i tried to help it, in doing so i've injuried the tail (a cut on the tail).:wb: i quarantine the fish in a plastic breeder box and added melafix to help heal it but came home today and there was no tail left. i'm so scared it will die can anyone help save my beautiful 333

SS317

Jan 14, 2011
Nsw
Wow that's going to be hard to get over, and if it makes it how's it going to swim? Don't look good I'm afraid

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
:cry::cry: Not sure that there is much you can do other than keep the water really clean and the fish must have minimal stress. Maybe someone will have a suggestion

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
wow that one wound. sorry. again keep up clean water, less strss, less light, TLC and fingers crossed. I would keep up the dose with the twins and keep in a seperate tank. good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Ouch, I wasn't expecting that :(

As above, clean water, the fix it twins, no light or stress and QT it would be my uneducated advice.

Fingers crossed for it.

Zebra Pleco

Retired Staff
Nov 18, 2010
Gardenstown, NE Scotland
www.zebra-plec.com
OUCH, I don't know what to suggest, in the wild the fish would be picked off by predators. So unsure keeping it alive is the right or wrong thing. If it does recover, it must be mentally stressed, also I don't think it will breed it that condition, any partner fish would reject him/her.

Heres hoping for a full recover, I know fish can grow back fins, but when I read the title, saying my fish has no tail, I thought maybe a few fins missing, not half its body.

a BIG Fingers crossed for you and the fish.

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
i dont have the heart the kill it, if it survive i also think that it wont be able to breed but right now i only want to save its life. we human lose a leg or two and we can still go on living why cant fish lol

Zebra Pleco

Retired Staff
Nov 18, 2010
Gardenstown, NE Scotland
www.zebra-plec.com
I would definately give it the benefit of the doubt, I know how you feel about putting the fish too sleep, not the nicest or easiest thing to do.

I agree about us losing an arm or a leg, but it never grows back, can a fish survive without a tail, only time will tell.

Colourwise, it look healthy, it doesn't look stressed, but I think I would be a bit annoyed wondering where my backend is or was.

Again fingers crossed, keep us updated with pictures, I would love to hear a great success story on here.

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hi,

How is your fish going ? Is the wound still red or mouldy ? I think you should follow your heart and that is just my view. It can survive in your tank providing you do not have too many other bottom feeders ( so it does not have to compete for food, so target feed at night) What ther fish do you have in the tank ? good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
hi bigbird atm its in a breeder box in a 6 foot tank, in the tank there is a pair of discus, about 8 L333 ranging from 4-7cm, 2 L004, 3 male peppermint 10-11cm, 7 L397 5cm, 7 L201 3-4cm, 1 L134 4cm, 1 albino longfin female 11cm, a few common and longfin bn 5-6cm i think thats everything. i will keep updating with picture whenever i get a chance to let everybody know whats happening thanks

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Did a male peppermint bn eat it by any chance ? very possible, been known to happen..
I would give it a chance, It might grow back yet..albeit a bit different looking from the original..
Do what everyone says, use the mela & Pima twins n all fins crossed for you here..keep the water clean, lots of extra air...no light is a good idea for a while..
Best of luck..

On a side note, are all those plecs in the same tank??, cos some of the dietary needs are different form the others, you could run into problems later on..the veggie eaters will try to get the meatier stuff off the others, even tho they shouldn't eat it as a rule lol..and in the long run someone will end up bloated...

Last edited:

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
hi mooo yes they are all in 6ft tank can you tell me how to divide the pleco up so as the right dietary is achieve thanks and it wasnt the peppermint that eat the tail it was my fault for injuring the tail first then i had it in the breeder box with melafix come home 2 day later and tail was completely gone. i keep telling myself if i didnt go out then maybe this might now happen i might of save its tail. oh well what can you do

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
If I may be honest, with 31 Ls plus 2 discuss in a 6fter tank and all needing different needs, you will have trouble down the track. Do you have a photo of the whole tank for us ? Just wanting to make sure you have enough caves, hiding spots and wood as well.
Jus a simple check on our profile will show you that the L397 is a pure wood eater and some others Ls omnivores etc. You have a large mix and also possible inbreeding. cheers jk :thumbup:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Maybe halve the tank with egg create and have the omnis up one end and the veggies up the other having the 397's and wood in with the bn's could work....
Hoping the carnivors get enough meat and the omnis don't get too much of the meaty stuff...they can all stay in the one tank without dietary issues.
I didn't cover the cross breeding that could occur, Good point JK..

Could even have two bits of egg create and have them all in their own diet parts of the tank, Discus might need to go tho, they need more room.than 2 foot..

Last edited:

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
i feed the whole tank color bits for the discus in the day time, when lights out i feed sera catfish chips, spirulina algae wafer, zucchini and cucumber sometimes and in the tank there is 4 big pieces of wood with anubias and javafern attached bare bottom

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
just as a hint, even though you feed at lights out ,which is good, you have no control over what L eats what. Every L is a opportunistic feeder and will eat whatever is offered, however for L397 to much protein is long term a health issue. Cheers jk :thumbup:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Ah I get what you mean with the wound now, it continued with infection while you were away?

If you think that is still happening, I would take the fish out and dip its tail in betadine liquid. Hold him and blow it as dry as you can for a minute and then put him back in his saver. Hopefully that will stop the infection dead in its tracks and get him recovering a lot faster.