Common Plec - Is he poorly?

bandi2709

Oct 4, 2010
Essex
He's hanging in there. He hasn't eaten for nearly a week. I've tried the peas, but he's not interested. I put a fresh algae wafer in last night but, again, not touched it. He's just sucked onto the side of the tank - doesn't matter where he starts off, he always slides back up to the top and his tail droops over! He has changed positions around the tank a bit more in the last 24 hours though. He's due another dose of anti bacterial meds at the weekend - not sure if they're doing anything or not really. I think it's going to be a waiting game. His breathing seems to alternate between normal and slow. His tummy is a bit bulged, but no worse than what it was like a few days ago, so perhaps he's just fat!

Anyway, here's another picture of him taken today.

Attachments

Last edited:

bandi2709

Oct 4, 2010
Essex
He has just done a poop, although very very long and very very thin (some parts thread-like and some with small lumps - sorry TMI!) and almost transparent looking but with a green tinge. Obviously that's not normal? can't say I've really monitored his poop before, but certain it's not usually like that!

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
awwrh ahh well :lol:
hang in there mate (both you and fish). maybe id hes not taking peas ttry keeping the lights on for longer, and keep the curtains open. this will help the algae and maybe he will eat that. the poo thing.. im no expert :lol: but id ssay the colour is due to the fact he isnt eating. keep giving him his medicine and keep the tank well oxygenated. what airation are you using?

bandi2709

Oct 4, 2010
Essex
Aeration? :dk: nothing specific. we use an Eheim filtration system which aerates the water but that's it, nothing else.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
As in oxygen. id buy (if you havent already) an airpump and air stone. this will disturb the water and create more oxygen.

bandi2709

Oct 4, 2010
Essex
I've just had a rummage through hubby's bag of fish bits and found a pump and a brand new pack of air stones! I've plugged it in, attached the airstone to the pipe, stuck it in the tank and :woohoo: Sorted!

Mind you, plec wasn't none too fussed! As soon as I switched it on, he promptly moved over to the other side of the tank :lol:

bandi2709

Oct 4, 2010
Essex
Common Plec - update

Hi all, well my Plec had his second dose of anti bacterial meds on Saturday and, so far, there has been no change. He's changing positions around the tank during the day, but he's still up the top, bent over with his tail hanging down. And when he does try to swim, he's all over the place. I have noticed that he can't get his tail straight at all, not when sucked on the side of the tank nor even when he's moving. He still hasn't eaten anything! I can only assume he's getting what he needs from the side of the tank! :dk:
This Saturday I am going to do a 30% water change and then dose him with Interpet General Tonic and see if that makes any difference.

I have absolutely no idea what is wrong with him. I am now starting to believe it's just old age (he is 13) and that perhaps he has had some kind of stroke. :cry:

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
hey mate. im really sorry about this problem :( im all out of ideas on this one. Maybe leave the lights on alot more to get some algae growing. keep in touch mate, fingers crossed for you mate

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
because of his age, I would tend to agree with you about it being a stroke or something else neurological, a bacterial disease, or a physical injury, It can only really be a couple of things.
I hope he recovers or at least can live out his life in peace...He is the oldest I've ever heard of..Hes a legend...

bandi2709

Oct 4, 2010
Essex
A very good friend of mine has suggested it could be swim bladder :dk: It kind of fits the profile to some extent and he's very unstable when trying to swim and when sucked on to tank, he slides up to the top. Going to try a swim bladder treatment at the weekend instead of the general tonic and see if he improves.

Incidentally, to Mooo, I read somewhere that plecs in the amazon rain forest in their natural habitat can live up to 40 years! And that given the right tank conditions, it is not unheard of for a plec to live 20 years! I feel I've got to give him every possible chance - he could live for a few more years yet if he responds to treatment! :)

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
I agree with it being a swim bladder problem. Id keep up the treatment. Try feeding cougette but let it float wth no weight. (He migh be able to eat this) Try not to give the plec any un needed stress, this isnt good for even healthy fish. I beleive i heard somewhere that air can be removed form the fishes bladder..? Im not sure on this though. Also feed the affected fish a small amount of fresh spinach or a green pea without the skin - laxatives. Let these float so this fish can get at them. Fingers crossed for you, keep me posted

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Ive seen it removed with a needle. But i wouldnt be confident enough to do that.. Thing i dont get is his tail being that bent. Im tempted to think he has had a stroke. Only time will tell. Keep an eye on his poo though in the mean time

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I would consider trying to find a vet that is trained to deal with exotics. The problem is, even though you feel you need to medicate, meds can cause more problems than they solve, especially over the counter meds that contain chemicals such as formalin. Vets can give proper antibiotics and even xrays.

What sort of gravel do you have? it isn't unheard of for plecs to accidentally swallow gravel which can cause a blockage. Blockages can cause all sorts of problems. Not ruling out the other suggestions at all though.

Also was anything done to the tank in the few days before he started doing this?
Was it an overnight occurrence, was he perfectly fine the day before? ate ok? pooped ok? normal behaviour or quieter?

The last photo you posted, his tummy looks sunken to me.

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
I agree with Doodles if you could find a vet that deals with exotics then thats your best option. Meds for any living creature can do more harm then good if its not what it needs.

Also in that last pic it does look like its belly is sunken in. Ive read that garlic infused foods can stimulate a pleco's appetite so you may wanna look into that.

Sadly Ive seen this happen to one of my pleco's in the past and the internet wasn't out like it is now. My pleco didn't survive for long. Yours is hanging in there longer then mine did. If I was you ide look for a vet.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Wow this link even says about the kinked spine part. I know he's not a betta but it does sound to be the same swim bladder disease.
http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/swimbladder_betta.php
Keep on with the bacterial meds.
Maybe try rubbing the peas in a bit of garlic which might make it more appealing.
You could also try a levamisole wormer which although he may not have a worm blockage, could help move the bowels.
Also a bit of epsoms salts in the water can ease the pressure of the bloating.

If he won't go for the peas cause its a bit hard to get to them, try pegging a bit of soft cucumber near him so he can try a nibble on it.

bandi2709

Oct 4, 2010
Essex
He's not pooped for ages :cry: constipation and swim bladder go together, don't they? How do I cure constipation. Will cucumber do it? or do I need to give him something else? He's always eaten algae wafers (nothing else), so seeing peas, etc, in his tank is probably very alien to him! :) I've got no means by which to peg anything near him - I need to peg cucumber bits right against the glass to get any chance of him getting them because as soon as he moves off, he spirals out of control!

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Don't feed him anything except a deshelled pea. Pea's are a mild laxative and are often used successfully for constipation in fish that will still eat. The only other option I know of is an epsom salt bath. This is going to be very stressful for him and the fact that no one is even sure this is his problem leads me to yet again suggest finding a vet.