Breeding Hypancistrus Zebra

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Here are some notes and pictures of my L46.

I started out with one breeding pair of wild caught adults.

Male

Female

A few months later I bought 4 youngsters to join the adults.
They are quiet and shy fish, keeping their business for after dark. Not had any action from these fish for at least a year. 6 Months ago I could buy 4 more adult fish.

Here they are, even got one for free!!

I added these fish to my other zebra's. After 2 weeks, when things couldn't get any worst at home (my boyfriend had an accident at work and was in hospital critical) they spawned for the first time.
Sadly the male was spooked when I did some maint. and left his cave and the fry. I didn't want to take any chances so I took the fry and put them in a breeder. The breeding fish were the 2 of the first pictures.
Set up was a tank of 100-40-40cm, a flow of 2000 liters trough a biological filtersystem with nitrate filter.

Some parameters:
PH 7,1
KH 3
NO2 0
NO3 <5
Microsiemens 200-300, no added RO water
Temperature 28-30 degrees

Here are some pictures, day by day

1 Day old

2 Days old

3 days old

4 days old

5 Days old

6 Days old

7 Days old

8 Days old

9 Days old

10 Days old

12 days old

21 Days old and time to leave the nursery

Now I have separated the group into 2 breeding groups. Both groups are spawning.

Last edited:

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Excellent photos:clap:

What were the water parameters?
Yes, sorry for that. I will update with the parameters. Really they are all the same because all the tanks are linked and work on the same biological filtersystem.

Thansk btw, I saw I earned an award :woohoo::clap: How great!!!

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Yep, knew I had one somewhere :D

This was the setup when I had my first spawn. Now this tank is divided and the group separated.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Fantatic stuff! Great pics and you.have gee'd me on with my breeding mission. Good luck with your new fry. Out.of interest will you be selling them?

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Fantatic stuff! Great pics and you.have gee'd me on with my breeding mission. Good luck with your new fry. Out.of interest will you be selling them?
Not for now no. I have several breeding groups and I'm planning on making new future breeding groups with the fry I've got. Maybe selling some males.

Thanks all for the lovely reply's :D

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
After 9 months of silence I found a new batch of eggs this afternoon :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
Very exciting!!! It's by a new young male and female so hope all goes well for him (and me) :clap::clap: