at long last a black and white spawn

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
have 2 colonies of zebs that have both been playing tag, chasey, in the cave now you see me - now you dont.... and this morning on the usual cave check run i found 6-7 eggs... maybe more in a cave with a male hovering over them... :woohoo:

i had a few spawns over the years without too much success... but this time its a new male as the old male died early last year with some sort of parasitic problem that i cleared up and got him back to health then he died a month later probably from internal blockage in his stomach/bowl.... :cry:

i'll try and get a pic without disturbing him if i can... but otherwise pics will have to wait till they have hatched up...

just to let people know some water parameters and details.....
ph 7.6....
temp 26-30 degrees as tanks are dictated by room temperature only...
nitrate - at almost zero
nitrite/ammonia at zero

i have read a lot about having to get TDS levels down to 100ppm to spawn zebs which i have done in the past.... but this time the water is purely treated tap water with a TDS of 350-370ppm....

IMO - the tds isnt important - whats important is to get the nitrates out and make sure the fish have a secure/safe hangout were they live...
hope this helps other people spawn these terrific fish...:thumbup:

stay tuned for some pics....

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Congrats on the spawn :woohoo: don't bother disturbing him to get pics of the eggs, but I want to see the fry when they are out <3 Its nice that you got the new male to spawn after losing your old male :cry:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thats great news:clap::clap:

Maybe if you get some pics, we can get a breeding log made up:yes:

dOOds

Sep 26, 2009
UK
L46

Congrats mate on the spawn....

My German pal drops the PH to 6.5 for his breeding..Just a little extra.He made his own fish(ground up meal food)(Freshwater fish only) And this did the trick..Nothing like a temp & Water change(Fresh rain,surge)I also swear by having your caves half into the flow..(Cave facing away).Hope to see some wrigglers when their out and about.cheers mate.

rickyjjuk

Jun 3, 2009
Suffolk
Well done, you must be doing something right as they are obviously happy :)

How does everyone put their caves? Into the flow or away from the flow??

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
heres some pre spawn pics

to answer a question about which way to point caves in regards to flow... i dont... simply a 2 foot tank with u/g filter... :yes:
but everybody has their way of doing things... so im not gonna say they are wrong or right... but in this case it wasnt needed.....
i think a nice home and no nitrates in your tank are the biggest issues with breeding plecs.... other than having male and female adults... :thumbup:

and if anyone likes the "playground" the slate construction above the caves - see bream legend - as i got him to make these for me.... and soon after i put them in is when all the action started!!! i put one in 333 tank also and 2 days later i had eggs in the two outside caves and 2 males doing their bizzo... i have one more playground to drop into the 260 tank and im betting they will like it too.... i made up a dodgy construction for the 201 tank originally 4 months ago and since then i must have 80-100 fry in the tank...

Last edited:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
cheers thanks... they were taken with the most dodgy $50 dick smith camera i bought couple years ago.....

i have some pics from the other colony... see if i can upload them later tonight or tomorrow....

day 3 and the eggs are still in the cave with the male.... he doesnt fan hardly at all... obviously hes happy with them... the higher ph doesnt promote fungus growth as quick as a lower ph does...

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
super, do you ever get any males fighting?
only once they faced off for a few minutes then one decided he wasnt gonna be the dominant male!!!
havent had any stouches since.... plenty of caves and plenty of places to hide in the "playground" while still being in full view from front of the tank...

i have been working on hand feeding zebs... and so far i have one smaller zeb about 5cm that almost takes bloods outa my hand.... not shy at all...
one day i wanna video it and pop it on u-tube for all to see...

Well done........ another feather on your cap!

Whick cave did they use out of the round or square??
What is the cave lenght/height that they spawned in is it a bought size or custom?

It looked like the round but not sure?

Breams cave's... flats look great, so you would give the thumbs up for the flats??

What's the stocking of the Adults inside this tank male's female stock level,is it 2, 3/4?

Is the male smaller than your former male?

Alot of question's sorry,always willing to learn more.