Anything new and tasty

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I've seen this also,the company is Top Fin.Never bought it though when lettuce and spinach leaves are cheaper.
Thats true, ive only ever bought it once. Never use lettuce though.

Had some leftover carrots from dinner yesterday - they are currently going down a treat, only problem is actually seeing the L144s against the carrot, they just disappear!!
lol, my plecs won't touch carrot unless its blanched or cooked:wb:

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
I've had luck over the holiday with chick peas (garbanzo beans) as well as boiled almonds, was making Humus and figured i'd give it a try and EVERYONE loved them, cichlids, plecs, synos, corries, CAE, Everyone!! The common and L001 were all over the almonds, and the L128 seemed to prefer the chick peas but had a go at both.

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
hey guys i saw that my bristlenoses dont really like carrots and sweet potatoe
im guessing because it is hard
how long should i blanch carrots for etc? i don really like using zucchini because it floats and it disturbs the fish when i put my hand in and out of the tank

2wheelsx2

Dec 21, 2009
Burnaby, BC, Canada
For zucchini stick a fork in it to hold it down. For sweet potatoes, I found that 30 seconds at high power in the microwave on a dish with a bit of water is best. More than that and it goes too soft and clouds the water.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
I tried cooked carrots and only the L144 seemed to eat them but everyone loves peas it seems :D I'm making something with butternut squash again today so will give that another go :yes:

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
hey guys
wheelsx2 i know how to weigh down zucchini but i find it very tedious and disturbs the fish!!
ill try your microwave thing wheels i hope it works!

2wheelsx2

Dec 21, 2009
Burnaby, BC, Canada
hey guys
wheelsx2 i know how to weigh down zucchini but i find it very tedious and disturbs the fish!!
ill try your microwave thing wheels i hope it works!
That's easy enough to fix. Tie a string to the fork when you drop it in and then pull it up when you're done. Look ma, no hands! :clap:

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I tried cooked carrots and only the L144 seemed to eat them but everyone loves peas it seems :D I'm making something with butternut squash again today so will give that another go :yes:

How did the butternut squash go?

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Butternut squash wasn't liked so much and made a bit of a mess :wb:

I've tried them with brocolli stalks tonight and they've all gone bonkers for them!

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
I put the stalks in with the brocolli I was cooking for our dinner, just took them out a little earlier so they weren't as soft, still some bite to them :yes:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Butternut squash wasn't liked so much and made a bit of a mess :wb:

I've tried them with brocolli stalks tonight and they've all gone bonkers for them!
I always cook butternut squash for around 4 minutes but it is quite messy and can make the water have a tint of orange too.

I put the stalks in with the brocolli I was cooking for our dinner, just took them out a little earlier so they weren't as soft, still some bite to them :yes:
Thats what i do too, they won't touch them if still raw lol

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
After reading the last couple of posts,had to try a broccoli stalk.

We have another winner,less then 5 minutes and it's getting chomped on.

:woohoo:

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
veg list

i have put a list of the list till now thought best to put them together so here goes –

Washed and
Or cut
-Spinach
-Lettuce
-Cucumber
-Red capsicum
-Tomato
-Seaweed

Peeled
-Pea’s = chick / long / snow / any & all would be fine?

Blanched
-Broccoli
-Zucchini
-Sweet potato
-Pumpkin
-Almonds
-Carrot

As a treat
- Rockmelon
- Apple
-Watermelon
-Paw paw
-Peaches
-Mango
-Grapes

Bold are the ones I’ve tried that they have taken to straight away ones in red not so much but il keep introducing it to them for they are eating it?

Hopefully we can continue to add to this list

Thank you,
Foti