WTB WTB - What L14s are available?

Lloydy

Feb 7, 2010
Farnham, Surrey
Hi everyone,

I will be after a few L14's in a couple of months. The reason for not buying now is that I am moving house at the end of April and the less fish I have to transport between houses the better.

I doubt anyone is successfully breeding these in the UK so if anyone sees these for sale in their LFS, can they please let me know :)

WTB

:L14 (Scobi's)-

Size: Prefer smaller fish so I can grow them up alongside my current 2 3.5" Scobis-

Sex(if known):-

Up to 4 so I can create a nice group?:-

Cheaper the better but I want good quality fish and will pay more for good specimens:-

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
my local maidenhead had some small ones in recently, could be worth asking your nearest one, they were £65, but i doubt you'll find them much cheaper to be honest, they aren't that common in shops at the mo

Lloydy

Feb 7, 2010
Farnham, Surrey
The 2 I bought from my local MA last year. I think I paid £40 for 2 that were about 1.5-2". Ideally I want a few a bit bigger than this because my current 2 are about 3.5" and I hoped that buying privately might also help keep the price down a bit.

I think Trimar have 2 L14s that are 10-12" long but I think they are £175 each and Wildwoods had some big ones which were also £150+ but I would still rather grow up a small group of them while I wait to buy a bigger tank in 6-12 months. I don't think its right to squash some lovely big fish into my current 260l tank when they deserve a big 750+l tank.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
If your intention is to breed them then you will be waiting a long time if you get them small. Get the 750L tank then whack 2 stonking L14's in there asap.

Lloydy

Feb 7, 2010
Farnham, Surrey
Long term plan (3+yrs) is to breed them but I am still young and fairly patient :)

I would hate to buy some mature L14s and do something stupid that kills them. I think it makes more sense to leave these mature plecs to other more experienced keepers and let them try to breed them if they want.

I will take my time, improve my knowledge/experience and hopefully not make too many mistake. If nothing else I think this is the more sensible and less selfish approach

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Sounds very good.

Just noticed at the begining of your first post you have put WTF instead of WTB, it made me chuckle :lol:

Last edited:

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
for a 2" scoby to get to breeding size you'll be looking a lot longer that a few years...

Our local MH has a Lovely 12" at the moment - £250 price tag though.