which shrimp to choose??

npogson

Jan 2, 2010
Dapto NSW
hi, i've been keeping and breeding bn for quite a few years now and using snails to help keep excess food to a minimum, but have recently heard shrimp are good for this also, is that true??? also considering as snails breed way too much, and shrimp do look better :p just want to know if there are common forms as well as are their pros and cons to keeping them with l numbers, do they annoy fish at all?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I have amano shrimp in all my tanks including tanks that have had breeding bns in. They are not really problematic at all, quite hardy and large(compared to cherry etc). They never annoy the plecs or fish and tend to try and keep out the way, they will however swim off with an algae wafer lol, so you would need to makes allowances for that when feeding.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
You will be over run with cherry shrimp babies lol, mind you, you could sell them i spect.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I feed my spare cherry shrimps to the Apistogrammas, and they are very keen on them. I just net a big lump of Java moss out of the shrimp tank, and put it in with the cichlid tank. Next day I put it back in with the shrimps.

cheers Darrel