What size air pump is appropriate for my setup

hellopleco

Apr 23, 2014
Australia
Hi guys and gals

I am currently setting up my multi tanks setup and need some advice on the aur pump size to run the whole set up.
I am setting up a 4 x 3tier fish racks, combined of 5.4m wide, I am looking at running around 28 sponge filters.

What size air pump do you guys recommend? Is 135L/min a bit of a overkill?

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
I use a 142LPM linear pistol pump for one of my fish rooms with around 65 outlets with extra to spare. Since you only need to run 28 outlets (lets say 35 the most), L135LPM is abit overkill. You can probably get away with one size smaller (around 75 to 100LPM) and buy two as it is a good idea to have a spare air pump. Having an inline bleed valve can also take care of excess air.

hellopleco

Apr 23, 2014
Australia
Hi thanks for a guideline when you mentioned you're set up. I don't want to have too many tanks but who knows :) but in the mean time I'll be looking at around 30 sponge filters.

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
My tanks are setup with automatic water change with storage tanks refilling themselves, so I don't have to do most of the heavy lifting. If you are doing manual water change, or one man bucket brigade, 20 tanks would be pushing it. After all, you don't want to be a slave to your fish.

hellopleco

Apr 23, 2014
Australia
Automatic water change? Hmm that sound interesting. Really haven't thought about making the system automatic but I should look into at this time. I have thought about connecting a outlet to the sump which I can extract the water from that and refill it with a already treated water in a drum. Gathering a few info at the moment. Cheers

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
You could probably run the 60. Don't forget later on fry saver air stones and air pumps in those. I run a 100 but it does 20 plus tanks all 4fts with 4 sponge filters and some with frysaver pumps and airstones.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Resun-LP-60-Pond-Air-Pump-70L-min-or-4200L-hr-Pond-Septic-Tank-Aquarium-/261490604446?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3ce20df99e#ht_658wt_975

Btw, get a car battery and an inverter and you can run that pump to all your tanks during black outs. Never lose a fish.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
however always remember, keep a spare, it is worth it and savers you a lot of heartache and problem. I would rather go overkill than under kill. good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

hellopleco

Apr 23, 2014
Australia
Some pumps are too high in wattage. Sometimes I think it's lower wattage if I was to run 2 small pumps then to run one single medium pump?

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
Power usage on the air pump also depends on the type of pump. By type, I mean how the air is being generated and not the brand name. Each type has it pros and cons in which power consumption is one of the many factors.