Unusual growths inside Pardalis mouth

Roo

Jul 12, 2010
UK
Hello

Please can you take a look at the pic below & tell me if there is any cause for concern. I have noticed these pale growths becoming larger as he has grown up. They are not affecting behaviour or feeding at present. They are not scars from heater burns as it has a plastic guard on it.

He's in a Roma 240 at present.

Thanks.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
lymphocystis
Usually goes away on its own sometimes can get so large that it'll effect eating, just keep an eye on it. Meds usually won't do anything for it.

Last edited:

Roo

Jul 12, 2010
UK
lymphocystis
Usually goes away on its own sometimes can get so large that it'll effect eating, just keep an eye on it. Meds usually won't do anything for it.
Could it be excised with a scalpel if it interferes with feeding? It doesn't look particularly vascular.

VickiandKev

Jan 27, 2010
North London
lymphocystis
Agree with this (to a degree)... If it is lymphocytis disease, the same thing as Brengun's zeb had. (http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7592)

it will go away on its own. How long has it had it/ when did you first notice it?

cheers...

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Could it be excised with a scalpel if it interferes with feeding? It doesn't look particularly vascular.
I think you can. Its a quite common disease in commons & gibbys. There are many threads about it on here. Usually, as I said before, it simply goes away after some time. I do remember vaguely that someone cut it off before, I can't remember if the thread was here or another forum, i think it did eventually go away. The biggest risk of cutting it off is a secondary infection & the possibilty of damage to the fish if the surgery isn't done well.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
oh dear, not much you can do unless it gets worse, just keep the water as good as you can to keep general health good, good luck

VickiandKev

Jan 27, 2010
North London
If it is lymphocystis its a virus so its correct that there are no medication currently that will cure this, it will just go away is is rarely fatal for the fish. However, because of the lowered immunity during this viral infection secondary infection eg. bacterial/fungal.... are common and it is those that could kill the fish. I would start adding salt just as a precaution (0.25g/L then divide by 3 to get the daily doses for 3 days). If you notice anything unusual for your fish then I would start treating with Esha exit and 2000 combination. Also, again only if this is lymphocycstis because it is viral your other fish can catch it so hospital tank may be required. How long has this fish had it?

thanks
kev

Roo

Jul 12, 2010
UK
Thanks for all your replies.

I will expand their water change routine to twice a week @ 50% & make sure the gravel is well hoovered each time.

I would say that I noticed them about a month ago. He is still grazing the bogwood & keeping the glass scrupulously clean as ever. Just as active, just as happy & hungry.

I will not be attempting to remove them with a scalpel don't worry.

It is a worry as he was going to be put down when I got him from someone & he was in a bad way. I asked here for advice about him when I 1st got him.

I'm really very attached to him. I don't have a hospital tank big enough for him, but if it gets worse I could easily get a second hand 200L for him.

jessfish

Jan 24, 2011
Canada
Hey everyone

My pleco (common pleco) has what i think is the same growth...but on the side of his mouth & it has been there since March!! It started off small - like the one in this post but has gotten to the point when it floats in front of Peru's (the pleco) mouth & a bit of it goes down his throat. He still eats well & his overall health seems great.

I am at a point when I no longer think it is the above mentioned disease - mostly becasue of how long it has been there & I am wondering if it will ever fall off...I am also at the point where I am seriously thinking of cutting a bit off myself.

I don't want to risk infection & possible death, but i am getting worried about the size of the growth (its doubled since Oct) & im close to trying the cutting procerdure :(

(1st two pics from this weekend 3rd from Oct)

any help is really really appreciated!!

Attachments

Last edited:

jessfish

Jan 24, 2011
Canada
so far i have talked to one staff member at Big Al's - who had experience with this type of mouth problem

his advice was to cut it off & that it is a tumor!

I would really like to know what Roo (original poster) did since it looks so similar.

thanks

Roo

Jul 12, 2010
UK
so far i have talked to one staff member at Big Al's - who had experience with this type of mouth problem

his advice was to cut it off & that it is a tumor!

I would really like to know what Roo (original poster) did since it looks so similar.

thanks
They look identical in form (little cauliflower type growths) to the the ones mine had.

My Pleco doesn't have any of them now, they just fell off at some point.

jessfish

Jan 24, 2011
Canada
They look identical in form (little cauliflower type growths) to the the ones mine had.

My Pleco doesn't have any of them now, they just fell off at some point.
How long did your pleco have them?

Mine has had it since last March & it's grown like crazy in the last couple months...i kept thinking they would fall off..but im not so sure any more

tutters187

Jul 5, 2010
Caboolture QLD AUS
Hi,
wow have never seen Lympho in plecos :cry:

It is a highly contagious virus through direct contact with other fish, ie, rubbing together, ingesting faeces, aquarium slime etc. However it is believed that it may not be transmitted to other fish through the water column.

Clean water is the best form of treatment and prevention and should allow for the fish's immune system to beat the virus, unless secondary infection occurs as has been mentioned earlier but i have read that scrapping off the nodules can be effective along with bathing the area with betadine etc.

Cheers
Stace

jessfish

Jan 24, 2011
Canada
It could be Lymphocystis as suggested for Roo's, you don't see many fish with it but ive mainly read about goldspots that have it.

Can the plec still eat ok?

I've read so much on lymphocystis & i still am not sold that that is what it is, only because from what i've read it sounds like the growth should fall off & for my guy its been there since March (almost a yr) & in the last month its doubled in size.

He still eats pretty well, i've been waiting for it to get as bad as it is now - it does go into his mouth when he eats & causes some difficulty..so i am planning on probably cutting it off in a few weeks & treat with antibiotics & salt...i hope that helps though!

jessfish

Jan 24, 2011
Canada
Hi,
wow have never seen Lympho in plecos :cry:

i have read that scrapping off the nodules can be effective along with bathing the area with betadine etc.

Cheers
Stace

If it is this lymphocyitis thing - there is sooo little info about how long it infects before the nodules r supposed to fall off - that i can't know for sure.

I have read that it won't affect goldfish? I only have goldies & the pleco...but as i said above it's been almost a yr of this thing growing & its starting to get in the way of his mouth...so im going to try removing it. When I do he will be in a QT tank with antibiotics & salt.

This may sound odd but what is betadine & how would i use it after cutting the growth off?
Is it similar to iodine, someone suggested using iodine?
I don't want to cause more pain to Peru than i have too, but i do what to combat any infection the best way i can!
thanks!

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
There is no info on how long it lasts as it can differ depending on a number of factors. Just like how when people get sick, some people can get a cold that last for weeks while others get over it in a day. As lympho is a virus (and quite common among common & goldspot plecs for some reason, possibly due to the fish-farm environment they come from) it goes away when the fishs' immunity takes care of it. This can be bolstered by good water quality, good feeding, & generally low-stress environment.

Betadine is an iodine, providone iodine. Note the -dine portion of the name. Its a brownish/reddish colored liquid. It the stuff they use in hospitals for surgery prep.

jessfish

Jan 24, 2011
Canada
There is no info on how long it lasts as it can differ depending on a number of factors. As lympho is a virus (and quite common among common & goldspot plecs for some reason, possibly due to the fish-farm environment they come from) it goes away when the fishs' immunity takes care of it. This can be bolstered by good water quality, good feeding, & generally low-stress environment.

Betadine is an iodine, providone iodine. Note the -dine portion of the name. Its a brownish/reddish colored liquid. It the stuff they use in hospitals for surgery prep.

I test my water monthly (or more) & it has been great for several months, pleco gets fed well & eats, he has a cave & he 'dances' at the glass when i go near the tank & doesn't seem stressed, & other than he looks healthy & has not stopped growing i assume those two things alone would mean his immune system is strong...but i guess it's hard to know for sure - especially with the growth.

Would I dab betadine on the growth before i cut it off...or dab it on the wound after i cut?
Is it important to do this, or can i just stick with the QT tank, antibiotics & salt?