triline question?

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
I had 2 male and 4 female trilines(not by choice lol)1 of the males markings were more spotty(which did make me wonder if he was a true julli)He had a frenzy one day and i think he went through all the females.(no fry would have had a chance of surviving in my tank and tbh i wasnt too fussed)unfortunatly several days later he died,i figure he wore himself out lol.No one else in the tank has showed any disstress.That was a month or 2 ago,and i have now added 2 more(not sure of sex yet).One thing i noticed,is that both the males had spots on their front fins,wereas the females didnt.Is this another way of sexing?As i havent seen this mentioned anywhere,or it may just be coincidence lol.

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Thanks for the link.No his behavior was quite normal until the day he died,we noticed he had like a fluffy white fungus around his mouth and within a few hours he just went.Sorry i think i got away from my main question lol.I just wondered wether anyone else had noticed there males had spots on there fins and the females didnt?

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
Trilineatus are extremley variable in pattern. I can't say I've seen any references to males showing different patterns to the females. Unless you have an exact catch location then proving any to be Julii is very difficult.

Cheers
Gemma.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
None of mine have spots and i'm pretty sure that one is a female as she gets quite fat and followed around by two others lol.

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Of my original 6,you could tell the difference in size between the males and females and the markings were different.The one that died had spots instead of the reticulating pattern and hardly any stripe(which lead me to believe he might have been a true julli)The remaining one has really intense markings,a lot brighter than any of the others.I also noticed they both had spots on there front fins(cant remember what there called lol)where as none of the females have them.Like i said it might just be coincidence lol.Which is why i wondered wether anyone else had noticed it with theres.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well sorry not noticed in mine. males def smaller and slimmer and they 'display' to each other in a male dance of quivering to say my quiver is better than yours - to impress the female. males tend to have bolder pattern too.