This is why "WE" should all invest in Battery backup!!!

ani-mal-lvr

May 20, 2009
Wisconsin U.S.A.
The other morning upon wakin up, I found three of my tanks were not runnin.
The results are below. Given that the temps were in the 90's, and no filters were runnin. It wouldnt/didnt take too long I figure. My next Foster and Smith order will have a couple of Azoo's battery backup air pumps on it. (shoulda had these already, just bin puttin it off :wb: )

That Pan is 14 inches wide!

I do not mean to depress anyone. Just wanted to share my stupidity, in not ordering backups sooner. Hindsight is 20/20 they say. :(

hugo

Jun 21, 2009
West OZ
Thanks for sharing your tragedy.... It is a wake call to me to pull my finger out and get some back up before i learn the hard way !!!:(:(:(:(:(

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
omg! what a shame! just one night!

I dont have battery back up and could be expebsive if you have it on all the time, or when you are out/in bed etc.

i do however have a small generator in the garden in event of big powercuts which will power the filters in emergency. cost me about £60. Have only had to use it once when we had a 5 hour cut (but could have lasted longer cos we did not know how long it would take) - but probably paid for itself in that go as I did not lose a single fish.
my worry is about a power cut when away from home!

ani-mal-lvr

May 20, 2009
Wisconsin U.S.A.
Ahh Dave, so sorry, thats totally sucks:(:(:(:(:(
Thank you Lisa, it bites big time.
omg! what a shame! just one night!

I dont have battery back up and could be expebsive if you have it on all the time, or when you are out/in bed etc.

i do however have a small generator in the garden in event of big powercuts which will power the filters in emergency. cost me about £60. Have only had to use it once when we had a 5 hour cut (but could have lasted longer cos we did not know how long it would take) - but probably paid for itself in that go as I did not lose a single fish.
my worry is about a power cut when away from home!
Thank you Irene. Yes just one night, and I still havent found what tripped the circuit.
But this is the type of gadget, I was refering too.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+8120&pcatid=8120

Its an air pump with battery backup. these have bin on my wish list for a long, long, long time. Now I really regret not moving them or at least one once in awhile over to my shopping cart.

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Last week I lost an adult pair of dekeyserias and a few young BN's overnight. There was 3 sources of airation going into the tank and all 3 had stopped, utterly gutting.

Katey

May 4, 2009
Oh no, what a tragedy! :hug: Those are some lovely specimens too :( I lost a huge clown loach to a heater malfunction too. So sorry for your loss!

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
WOW,sorry for your loss.

We have had a heat wave this past week in the dairy state,but we also had some wicked rain storms past through also.

:(

young1nj

May 28, 2009
Michigan
Dave, sorry about your rough wake up. Those are some pretty nice sized fish.

I was thinkign about batter backup and was looking at one that had a battery backup built into a regular pump. If the power went out it just automatically turned on.

I think they are made by penn-plaxx, I have air pod pumps by them that I really like. They just don't seem to be widely available.

ani-mal-lvr

May 20, 2009
Wisconsin U.S.A.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Last week I lost an adult pair of dekeyserias and a few young BN's overnight. There was 3 sources of airation going into the tank and all 3 had stopped, utterly gutting.
Thank you, and I am so sorry for your loss.
So sad to hear that Dave:(
Thank you B.
Oh no, what a tragedy! :hug: Those are some lovely specimens too :( I lost a huge clown loach to a heater malfunction too. So sorry for your loss!
Thank you Katey, and I am sorry for your loss.
WOW,sorry for your loss.

We have had a heat wave this past week in the dairy state,but we also had some wicked rain storms past through also.

:(
Thank you Tony. Yes the heawave I am sure was a major contributor here.
Sory about your loss Animal.

whats the deal with keeping them in the freezer? were they insured in any way?
Thank you. I just freeze them til the night before garbage pickup. then I dont have to worry about cleaning up the alley. Lotsa critterz here in the nawthwoods.
Dave, sorry about your rough wake up. Those are some pretty nice sized fish.

I was thinkign about batter backup and was looking at one that had a battery backup built into a regular pump. If the power went out it just automatically turned on.

I think they are made by penn-plaxx, I have air pod pumps by them that I really like. They just don't seem to be widely available.
Thank you. Yes the Roselines were/are my favorite non-plec fish.
Yes the Azoo battery backup pump, runs all the time. But when the power is out, the batteries take over.
I am certain that had I had one of these my losses would have been no where near as severe.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
that azoo pump looks great -never seen anything like it in shpos here. cant find on-line either.
anyone in UK know where to get them?

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
You wouldnt beleive after reading this yesterday i had a power cut last night due to an accident around the corner.
I have 8 tanks set up and only 2 battery pumps :wb:
all my plecs where out doing pretty well but not happy.
so from 1am untill 6am i was monitoring my tanks like crazy.

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
that azoo pump looks great -never seen anything like it in shpos here. cant find on-line either.
anyone in UK know where to get them?
Firstly i would like to say how deeply sorry i am for your losses animal, i have grown very attached to my clowns and this post is a wake up call for me to. :(

I am in the same boat as you Irene, me and hubby are trying to find something so i will be grateful if you find something before me, let me know, and i will do the same for you B-)

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
I use bait battery operated pumps you can get them from the fishing takle section in most large supermarkets, they cost me $10 for a 2pk (cheap) they last around 24hrs on a full battery.

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
First of all. Sorry for yor loss Ani. Looks like you lost a lot of stunning fish there. :(:(:(

@Irene. Don't know if these are any good to you with them coming from Hong Kong, but I've bought stuff from the far east before from Ebay and had no problems as far as the stuff arriving at my door.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AC-DC-Battery-Automatic-Backup-Aquarium-Air-Pump-AR25_W0QQitemZ130311982550QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item1e57330dd6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1686%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50