tank reseal help please ?

gooner

May 13, 2009
milton keynes
my lovely wife bubbles and i had a bit of a bargin on ebay recently (although i did have to drive 514 miles to get it !!) we got a 6 ft tank for our plecs very cheap. the cabinet is in need of some tlc but i can fix that as its wood and i've done a bit of woodwork but the tank needs resealing and glass is a bit different. I have read a few articles and had a bit of advise from my brother in law (he used to fit windows) but i really dont want to mess it up its a lovely tank and i think our plecs will be very happy in there. What i would really like to know is do any chains of fish shop or does anyone know if there are people who offer a reseal service i had a quick look on the net but was unable to find anything i dont mind paying to have it done properly as i think the tank and fish are worth it and i think that a job like this should be done right. Any help would be much appreciated.

I

intrepidmax

If you give stuart at the house of pisces in dundee scotland a call he would be able to tell you who would be able to re-seal your tank.

Or since your in milton keynes ask mark at the fish house in fenny stratford he might know someone.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Not that difficult a job to do. Does the tank have a frame holding the glass panels together?
All that is required is to remove the old silicon sealant and apply a new amount.

Here are a few articles from Google (searched "resealing aquarium"): http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=107
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Spinelli_Resealing_Aquarium.html
http://forum.nanfa.org/lofiversion/index.php/t3857.html
http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8208

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
On a 6 foot tank i would rather get a pro in to do it.
Hi Gooner :) (Mr Bubbles)

I've just been chatting to Marcy and have said That I've got no problem helping to sort it out. I've re-sealed a couple of tanks successfully in the past and feel confident a 6ft'er should go ok too (we'll just have to make sure its tested well before it goes in the house and gets filled for real!

I've PM'd a link over for the silicon, It might be an idea to add some blades to the order to get it over the £10 minimum :)

I guess its just a plain glass tank - if not any idea of the make?

Russell

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Hi Gooner :) (Mr Bubbles)

I've just been chatting to Marcy and have said That I've got no problem helping to sort it out. I've re-sealed a couple of tanks successfully in the past and feel confident a 6ft'er should go ok too (we'll just have to make sure its tested well before it goes in the house and gets filled for real!

I've PM'd a link over for the silicon, It might be an idea to add some blades to the order to get it over the £10 minimum :)

I guess its just a plain glass tank - if not any idea of the make?

Russell
See i told you, you should get a pro in!! Good work Russel the love muscle! i want your babies

I

intrepidmax

Ha Ha Smithrc.....your gonna have fun with that.... how much weight in water does a six foot hold???? as a guess its over a ton i would say......A ton of water.

And a whole re-seal .....ooooooooh ....I wouldn't take all the seal out, otherwise you will need clamps and that will be a nightmare a tank this size.

You could corner cut the tank and only remove the bead. and then just run a bead back round the tank. simples innit.

I think the best way would be to corner cut the whole tank and then re-seal, rather than sealing over the top of loose and dirty silicone.

hope it works out well.......and watch out for air bubbles you shouldn't get any with corner cutting. but if you do you know its a ton of water on the carpet. lol.

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
You could corner cut the tank and only remove the bead. and then just run a bead back round the tank. simples innit.
thats the plan ;)

I did think about buying the clamps - but I'll not have any need for them after that...

I've worked on a 6x2x2 tank in my mind - thats about 600L ;):thumbup:

gooner

May 13, 2009
milton keynes
thanks again everyone for the help and advise. smithrc thanks for your help bubbles told me about the chat we are looking forward to meeting you and if we need clamps for the job then i will buy them and if anyone else needs them for a reseal they only need ask i will gladly send them to somebody in need ! I should also tell you the tank is only 5 ft 8 inches long, 2 ft high and 22 inches front to back at its widest point. also the front corners are not square i cant think how to describe it other than saying they are cut the same as when you fold the page of a book over if that makes sense i hope it does. but it is just a plain tank i cant find any makers name on it and i cant find one the same on the net i think that just about covers it if you need any more info please let me know thanks again.

I

intrepidmax

Ok lol just over half a ton.....600KG lol.....

FF_____whats that stand for??? fish fodder?

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Just an update, the tank had a reseal today:woohoo:, with many, many thanks to SmithRC ( Russell ) for his most kind help in re sealing, and showing hubby what to do, we are very grateful :clap:

I will post a picture as soon as the tank is finished, up and running :D

Last edited:

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
:hi:

I am so sorry i didnt see your posts, :huh: i blame my age :lol:

I will defiantely let you know when the tank is finished, and get pictures posted :thumbup: thank you so much for your concern all your help.

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Relax it was Bank Holiday weekend, i'm sure Marcy and Chris had better things to be doing with the family, i'd certainly have left the silicone for a number of days to cure 100% its a big risk especially with a big tank, their being very sensible and taking their time with this build and i applaud them, i'm as eager as the next person to see those Plecs swanning around their new home, but all in good time :thumbup: