Summer Heat

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
As summer is upon us in the UK(allegedly).

How does everyone(worldwide) keep their tanks cool when it is really hot?

I use fans that blow across the top of the water, which really helps, the downside is increased evaporation( which should really be topped up with RO water as when water evaporates, it leaves behind the dissolved solids)

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
i dont keep mine cool, they are what they are just means i save on electricity for a few months

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
I havent had heaters on for a few weeks now and my tanks are still over heating. I have been doing cold water changes every night so all his ok at the moment.

thegeenius

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
For my bigger tanks, I leave the cabinate doors open and place a fan in front to keep the canisters cool (unsightly but works well), leave the lids open using window screen to prevent suicide:wb:, Plus plenty of extra airstones. I find that most fish can handle the extra heat so long as they get the extra O2 in the water. Also keep lighting to a bare minimum. We stay over 35 from july-sept here.
HTH

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
, I leave the cabinate doors open and place a fan in front to keep the canisters cool (unsightly but works well)
Interesting idea, never thought of doing that.

Katey

May 4, 2009
I apologize for my ignorance, but out of curiosity are air conditioners not the norm in the UK? There's parts in the States where people don't use them, but here in Florida everyone uses A/C - is gets so horribly hot! So inside it's always around 76 degrees, and we use heaters in the tanks.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
I apologize for my ignorance, but out of curiosity are air conditioners not the norm in the UK? There's parts in the States where people don't use them, but here in Florida everyone uses A/C - is gets so horribly hot! So inside it's always around 76 degrees, and we use heaters in the tanks.
nope not the norm in the uk, its not too hot over here unless we have a nice summer, even then it doesnt compare to the states

plecmom

Jun 2, 2009
AB, Canada
well, being in Canada in the deep of summer doesn't heat my tank too much. The tank is in the bacement too so usually year round the heater is on its normal setting just incase. If anything it only increases a degree or so.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
only modern offices, big shops and expensive london flats and the like have air con in uk generally.
I live a flint 200 year old cottage, the only air con i could have would be a free standing unit and my rooms are all a bit small. fortunately I live near the coast so sea breese keeps us cooler than inland anyway. the winter is a bigger threat to fishkeeping for me.

Katey

May 4, 2009
Thanks for explaining to me guys! Irene, I have always loved the idea of an old cottage on your side of the pond...we'll trade you for a boring subdivision cookie cutter box - with a/c!

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Well i have just got in from work and all my tanks are running over 27 degrees at this time of morning lol.All windows are now open and the lids are up lol.Heaters havent been on for several days now.

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
I went and looked at my tanks just now and they are sitting on 27 so the fan will go on, i also keep my curtains closed and windows open, and front door open lol, so we do get a bit of a breeze coming through : )

I

intrepidmax

My lights are off......my heaters are off and cold water changes every night since I got back. both of the doors on the fish room are open.....

because my fish room is a very central room in my house it gets very hot.....really good for the winter.....sits at 22.

but the heat just now is a nightmare as my tanks are over heating.....the room its self is sitting at 27-30.

If it gets too much I will just leave the freezers open and watch my missus go nuts.

Or I will start floating ice cubes in poly bags at lunch time.....(will get the missus to do this while im at work)

Ultra_Pikey

Jun 16, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Hi mate,

It gets pretty hot here (Brisbane,Australia) during summer. The best solution (& cheapest) I've found is to get old drink bottles, fill 'em with water & freeze them.

Just like making an aquarium ice cube ;)

I just throw them in the tank (they float) when temps raise & it brings the temp down well (& gradually). Makes for happy fishies :)

Hope that helps ya,

Pikey.