Spawned giant whiptails

Chui

Jun 17, 2010
Sydney NSW
Hi all,

Sorry to drag up old thread, but did you have more success with the Laticeps.

I have six of them, and like you I have found (repeatedly) batches of eggs on the sand. I can't figure out which two are responsible.

Did a move to a tank on their own help? Any other tips?

Cheers,

Chui

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I have had Loricaria simillima spawn these fish are also lip brooders.
The male will “dump” the eggs if he can’t find a safe place to sit and brood the eggs.

Easy to grow on in a floater but once they get free swimming they become a problem to feed.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Hi all,

Sorry to drag up old thread, but did you have more success with the Laticeps.

I have six of them, and like you I have found (repeatedly) batches of eggs on the sand. I can't figure out which two are responsible.

Did a move to a tank on their own help? Any other tips?

Cheers,

Chui
you must have been a mind reader....

i put them in their own tank and nothing for months.... so i added some royal whiptails and some cories - as they had before in the original tank....

about a month later to date... well 2 days ago they spawned and the male obivously left the eggs so i have them in a tumbler now... so far so good...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Chui

Jun 17, 2010
Sydney NSW
Thanks for the replies guys.

In a couple of months I'll move them. The eggs don't last long in the tank they are in.

Good luck with yours BJF.

Cheers.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i successfully raised 4 fry to 2cm... and made the mistake of putting them in a new plastic frysaver without soaking it in water for couple days first and lost 3 of them.... but one was still alive and i let it go in the main tank and now its almost the same size as the adults....

looks about ten eggs but 2 look like they are gathering fungus....:dk:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
i successfully raised 4 fry to 2cm... and made the mistake of putting them in a new plastic frysaver without soaking it in water for couple days first and lost 3 of them.... but one was still alive and i let it go in the main tank and now its almost the same size as the adults....

looks about ten eggs but 2 look like they are gathering fungus....:dk:
I found the same problem with my lip brooding Whips. I assumed this was due to the eggs being dumped I found that cutting the funguses eggs away with a scalpel worked.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
lost the whole lot to fungus....

and another lot also... i tried adding some shrimp to keep them fungus free but no luck....

a freind suggested i put them in a tumbler in a small tank and use straight tap water while they are eggs and do daily 100% water changes untill they look like they are about to hatchup then use tank water
hmmm i guess chlorine in the water stops the fungus but will it have any effect on the eggs ???

any opinions or ideas ???

Eric

May 23, 2010
Brisbane
Never heard of it before but i spose you could give it a go. I know theres some other anti-bacterial stuff you can use and known to be safe. I used it once but can't remember the name... It makes the water blue though, thats all I know.

Probably doesn't help jack anything but i'll keep looking to find that name for ya :).

Eric

May 23, 2010
Brisbane
Not the one I had I don't think, but this is th closest I can find at the present.

Acriflavine Neutral Power

"For treatment of bacterial infections, mouth fungus, fin and tail rot, saprolegnia fungus, oodinium (velvet), sliminess of skin and protozoa. Excellent anti-fungal medication for sure. Works for fungussed fish eggs @ 1 drop per gallon. Also good for wound disinfection."

http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/products.html

meloizias

Mar 23, 2011
Cobham
yeah they are mouth broaders, similar to my marbled whiptails. normally the male will look after them and couple of times a day clean them. if they have been dropped something is stressing the male so next time you see eggs would recommen putting them into a fry saver with airstone

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
yeah they are mouth broaders, similar to my marbled whiptails. normally the male will look after them and couple of times a day clean them. if they have been dropped something is stressing the male so next time you see eggs would recommen putting them into a fry saver with airstone
well aware of what they should do!!!! :hi: but its not happening at the moment....

tried all sorts of methods... my second spawn last year i hatched about 8 through to wriggler stage... then 4 to feeding stage and was growing nicely before i swapped frysavers over and killed 3 of them... the one survivor is nearly as big as the parents now....

and i've used meth blue at times also....