space or individual tank heating.

I

intrepidmax

as most of you know Im about to build a large fish house.

In my last fish house I had mega problems with the amount of electricity my heaters were using....due to my crap insulation and the cold weather.

My new fish house/shed will be mega insulated this time. and I would like to run as much as I can on either solar power or low wattage items.

so what would everyone recommend space heating?? or individual tank heaters???

I have seen some halogen heaters wall lamps apparently these run at 4p an hour (I think this is cheapish) but they have no thermostat though.

I have also seen some tubular heaters for sheds and for extra cost you can have a thermostat.

then there is oil filled rads with thermostats.

let me know what you all think would be the best and the cheapest to run please.

might be an idea that I still have heaters in the tanks just in case of failure.

thanks in advance
mark.

bikerman6660

May 3, 2009
N/East UK
Depends on the location of your fish house I managed to add a radiator in mine as it is attached to the house which runs off the central heating. If not it will be cheaper to run an oil filled radiatior (1kw uses 1kw/hr of electricity as opposed to 3 300watt heaters costing the same to run)

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I would have a small oil filled radiator (not a cheap one as these are less effeicient -try dimplex or similar) to keep the general level of heat - say to 22 -24 degrees, then have heaters in a few tanks that you want at a higher temp, eg hypans tanks at 20-30.

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
If you have excellent insulation, there should be a good deal of ambient heat generated from lighting, power filters and pumps which will help to keep the temperature of the room up.

For the main source of heat during October - April, I would use an electric space heater - electric blower type with a digital thermostat and plugged into an auto cutoff plug if the temp exceeds, a certain temp - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! I know of a few friends who have lost their collections due to space heaters sticking on, for the sake of a £15 cut-off plug. I tend to switch off my space heater during May - September - the main issue is too much heat from the usual electrical equipment.

I would also use individual heaters for tanks which require set temps, to prevent too much variation in tank temp. You can get away with very low wattage heaters to keep temps topped up if you have space heating. E.g a 50-75 watt heater is plenty for a 20g tank. Also reduces the risk of overheating if it sticks on.

You will also need a roof mounted fan to spread heat throughout the fish-house, saving it collecting at the top and over-heating top tanks.

In warmer fish houses, you will also be best to have an extractor, maybe humidity controlled.

Cheers,
Mark.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
If you have excellent insulation, there should be a good deal of ambient heat generated from lighting, power filters and pumps which will help to keep the temperature of the room up.
:goodpost:

Insulation is the key to temperature. I have heaters in all my tanks and also a little 300watt shed/garage heater but the heat generated by externals/lights/powerheads are enough to keep the shed at 82/84. I never turn the shed heater on during the summer months and the tank heaters do come on every now again but only for a very short period.

Spend all your money on insulation and you wont regret it

Cheers

thegeeman

cup

Retired Staff
May 6, 2009
Berkeley, CA
if you have the choice, space heating is obviously the safest for your fish. It is also the most expensive, and it is also the most uncomfortable for you.