Slight electric current

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Whilst doing a water change on friday, i noticed when i put my arm on the metal rim of the tank, i was getting a slight electric shock.

Turned the heater off first as they are usually the culprits(its a plastic stealth heater, visotherm, think thats spelt right) and the electric shock stopped.

Does it mean the heater is pooched?
havent had it that long, maybe just over a year or so.

I

intrepidmax

could be the heater. more than likeley the heater.......but I would also check the lighting......If the end cap of the light has fallen in the water then this will give you a buzz or for a real tingle try dropping the ballast in the water lol.

I have had loads and loads of electric shocks/buzzs from tanks (its worse in marine tanks due to the salt) I think you have already worked out that its probably the heater. but I would just double check all electrics make sure nothing has fallen in the water or even conducting along the metal rim.

I walked into my old metal fish shed one day and went to put something thing under a tank and had a massive electric static hit me without a shock.......all my hair on my body stood on end and I could feel buzzing through my skin....seemed water had dripped down along a condensation tray that had been left off and straight into the main electrics......now that was a really fun day lol.

Please be careful and just double check everything.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
It's almost certainly the heater, as the current stopped when you turned it off. The water proofing has started to break down somewhere (it should be rated IP67) and a small amount of current is "leaking" into the tank water, via the faulty insulation, almost certainly the heater is double insulated with no exposed conducting parts, so it won't be earthed, (until you put your hand in). You'll find even if you run your electrics through an RCD (and you should) this fault won't necessarily trip out the RCD either.

As Intrepidmax says the saltier the water the more current it conducts (pure H2O has no dissolved ions and is an insulator). I had an internal filter where the same thing happened, I was away from home and Mrs Watts was feeding the fish, I always flick the rcd, but she hadn't. When I got home I couldn't feel the current, (I have to do all the washing up, and my hands are knackered), but about a week later it was worse and I got a definite shock. The fish were apparently unbothered I assume because the tank was not earthed (until I stuck my hand in).

cheers Darrel

I

intrepidmax

Yeah I have also noticed that the fish are totally un-fazed by the electrical current passing through the water.

although in saying that I have never had a full blown shock from (hair standing on end and smoking in the corner of the room) a fish tank and faulty electrics. I have found that its a bit like touching an electric fence. just a little zap. but I wouldnt want to take my testing to the next level and start throwing the toaster in the tank pmsl.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I did read an article ages ago about fish and currents, will have to dig it out.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Electricity is a potential across two points that will always look for a way to earth. Should you provide this “leak” to earth then you will be subjected to the tension of the potential.

I would always earth metal framed tanks in the “Good old days” As pointed out a heater should have a IP rating of 67 that is its insulation to damp /water, in simple terms higher the IP the better.

I replace all my heaters on a 2-year system by dating them when they are first placed in the tank.

As a fish tank is standing on foam or rubber usually they have no “Leak to earth”.

I use one of these at work and keep one in my fish house

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Voltage-Detector-Pen-Non-Contact-AC-Electric-Tester-H49_W0QQitemZ230341231577QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET?hash=item35a16843d9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This will give me a quick test if I suspect a “leak”

Placing a RCD along the circuit is a good Idea but they do become “Lazy” and trip at the smallest surge or “leak”.

I have run a separate consumer unit in my fish house with just normal “breakers” and separated the lights, heaters and filters so should one radial trip I will still have the heaters/ filters so things will no go total tits up.

The main problem in the UK is that the regulations regarding electrical work now require a person who has part P certification to do any work and that will then cost as no one with a qualification will be cheap.

Regards Flash Bang