Sick Pardalis

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
i mentioned in my new tank thread that the pardalis was having health issues, the white fluff seems to be clearing a little, he is eating but his belly is still very sunken and his poop is stringy and clear and his dorsal fin looks like this:

one thing i have noticed is he is getting bullied from the smaller Joselimaianus :wb:
would appreciate ANY advice, biggest problem being as they are all in quarantine i have no way of seperating the 2 plecs :(
but if i knew wether it was a parasite or just stress i would be able to deal with appropriately.
With the state of the fin is it worth adding some melafix?
Thanx peeps

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
melafix wouldn't hurt, the only concern is if he isn't well, the stress of getting bullied will hold his recovery back, could also be worth treating for internal parasites, i've just treated with waterlife octozin tablets and they seem to work well

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
one thing i have noticed is he is getting bullied from the smaller Joselimaianus :wb:
I did wonder if that would happen, had the same prob with my common and goldspot.

What are the water parameters?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Some melafix and pimafix might help. The stringy poo would suggest paracites so need to treat that as suggested above.
How long have they been in QT?
is tank big enough to put a separator in?
I expect the fin dmage is from fighting but the pimafix will help with any fin rot as well.
good luck

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
:hi: hun

I am so sorry your pardalis is sick, sorry i cant be of any real help, just wanted to wish him a speedy recovery.

:hug:

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
How long have they been in QT?
Since i picked the tank up on saturday, they were part of the furniture :D
But i have my suspicions he wasn't being fed enough before they sold, maybe run out of food, which would explain the struggles if theres 2 hungry plecs
Jack has a big appetite he's coloured up nicely looked a hint of gold earlier (dempsey) Hoplo is fine, Humbug is fine, mourinho (Jose) has a good stomach on him and the Worm is the bees knees if i could i'd isolate the pardalis in another tank but i can't :( don't want the rest going sick.
I'm gonna treat with Melafix for the fin and would parazoryne be ok for the paracites? can i run 2 treatments alongside each other?
don't want to be doing too many W/C as the filters need to build up a bit after the short journey and need the food :dk:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
What the dueces!! i just fished 2 of these out of the new tank :(

Never seen anything like it.
Are they wormy things?

I'm gonna treat with Melafix for the fin and would parazoryne be ok for the paracites? can i run 2 treatments alongside each other?
don't want to be doing too many W/C as the filters need to build up a bit after the short journey and need the food
You can safely use melafix with most other meds.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
well its safe to say there is some type of parasite in there then, they look horrible.
try to find a parasite treatment that kills worms too

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
just had a quick look, not sure how effective the parazoryne would be, its says its made from plant and herb extracts so i'd be worried about how potent it is, also cant see anywhere that says it treats for worms. maybe some Sterazin would be better:dk:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Preferably something that contains Praziquantel as I'm pretty sure that is available in the UK now.

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
:hi:
Thanks Peeps, will stop in at LFS tomorrow see if they have any Sterazin, doubt they'd have Praz but something to look out for in the future.
Hoping the old saying better out than in applies here and the fact these were in the water means that his body is dealing with them now he has strength from the food.
All good practise in the long run and thankfully not something i'm dealing with in my Big Tanks :(
Will keep you informed B-)

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
I've never seen anything like those in a tank, either, Terry. If you do find a med that kills them, please let us know.

Good luck with the treatment!

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
How's it going now?
:hi:
His scales have cleared up nicely and i've since removed a few pieces of jelly floating around, i still have 3 more doses of the Sterazin to administer to complete the course but he is looking a whole lot healthier :clap:
Eyes are still a little cloudy but that could just be stress from the bullying and its going to take a while to fill out his belly but the meds seem to be working well. Thanks for asking

If you do find a med that kills them, please let us know.
Well it seems the Sterazin as recommended by Brian is doing the trick :thumbup: