sand filter....?

I

intrepidmax

Anyone used a sand filter before, I have seen them in action on a swimming pool.....and in my best mates shop but.....how well do they work and how much electricity would they take up...???

more electric than 18x eheim 2213s by any chance????

any info would be great thanks.
mark.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Intrepidmax I had a go at making one, it's simple in theory but a lot more difficult in practice.

If you are interested in making/buying a big f.b.f., have a chat with the owner at Rainbow Koi in Melksham (Wilts.), (it's just the other side of Salisbury Plain for you.) <http://www.rainbowkoi.co.uk> ((01225) 705222), he was very helpful in telling me why it had all gone horribly wrong with mine.

You can have a look at "Sue" as well why you're there, allegedly the biggest Koi carp in the UK, she is huge and white and looks just like a swimming pig.

I buy my 12" x 4" x 4" sponge filter blocks there.

cheers Darrel

I

intrepidmax

cheers rabbit

and thank you darrel I will be getting in contact before the week is out.

I had thought about building one myself because of the same thing.....looks so easy in theory.

my biggest problem is the electricity consumption. I need to know that its not gonna skin me.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Most sand filters use a power head to creat the water floww use a Eheim power head and the cost will be the same as running the power head.

I

intrepidmax

I cant find an eheim powerhead anywhere near big enough to power the sand filter. the one I have been offered is huge....its around 20 inch round and 30inch high.

it comes with a massive external pump and all fittings but I dont know how to fit it to a system or how much power it will take. I think its run on horse power lol so how much watts is a horse pmsl.

I know these pumps are designed to run non-stop and this is supposed to make them energy efficent.

any ideas??

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Do you have the rating of the pump I can work outr a cost if you know the cost per unit of your electic

Glenn

Aug 9, 2009
In The Fish house
Hi Mark
y not use some sumps 2 or 3 tanks to gether?
Cuts down on electrical cost u can get some pumps that will pump up 2 6ft high at 18 watts. Saves all that cleaning filters out 2
Good luck
Glenn........

Last edited:
I

intrepidmax

I dont know the cost of my electric per unit...its heavily sub-sidised and costs me not that much at-all but yet enough to break my bank.

I have been toying with the idea of having a sump instead (Im thinking about using my 2x 5 foot tanks converted) problem is the 5 footers are excellent tanks for holding stock and providing all the fish like the same water they all do really well in here.

I think Im going to take all this back to the drawing board, but I need to be fast as my big tanks will be here in november.

thanks for everyone's help.

I

intrepidmax

pmsfl. Gee you just gave me an idea.

I have a nice lamp post right outside the house.

I pay my gas and my electricity comes through a fuel and light voucher. so comes straight of my wages. Im about £60-70 every 3 months. when the fish house was up and running it was £140 every quarter. now I only cut down by a few tanks when they moved in-doors. so the heaters must have been working over-time big style. I cant see how anything else would make it sky rocket like that.

Lol and this is why Im seriously thinking about solar power, LED lighting, even tried to get myself a wind turbine lol.

I really want to keep the cost down. as the wife doesn't want any tanks in the house (and that's killing me......so guess where im about to spend the rest of my life) pmsl.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Im with you there mark.
I use LED as lighting on all but my display tank, it does the job fine.
As for solar power the original costs arnt pretty but linking it to a battery for constant charge it will pay itself of quickly.