salt?

plecmom

Jun 2, 2009
AB, Canada
Hi Doodles, thanks for answering.

Well, I'm not thinking long term, maybe for a month or so. Its for sucky, my 7yr old pleco mainly. I have a post in here from before, titled "owee please help" which explains his owe but doesn't explain the whole story, lol.

Well, pretty much I'm not really treating "anything" in particular. Hes had foggy eye for over a month, maybe 2, nothing has helped that at all. The water quality is excellent. Latest readings were zeros, ph is 7.8 temp is consistent at 23C The tank, main tank, has been running for 3 years. About a month ago, maybe more, I am bad with dates, I treated him for a bit of fin rot with T.C. Tetracycline, I was told this would help with the foggy eye too, but it didn't. He did get better though. He was in a hospital tank for 3 weeks alone, got treated. He looked better, acted better, ate well, pooped well, and hes still doing great. All other fish are fine and healthy as well in the main tank so I put him back into the main tank. However, he got his owee at this time, so I treated with melafix to help him heal. His fin is actually doing really well, it looks like its growing a new tip. No fungus noticable on him anywhere. But the pin holes in his fins are back. (which never concerned me before except for the fact that it turned into white tipped fins before, so I'm worried it might be happening again) He is still doing wonderful, eating, pooping, swimming, has his usual temperment of coming to the glass when I talk to him. BUT the foggy eye is still there and of course the lingering pin holes in his fins. So, I was thinking of trying something more natural, like salt, as I really don't want to stress him and my whole tank with medications again. I thought about using primafix but thought against it because again, I don't want to stress him and have him croke on me.

In the main tank I have a rubbernose, 2 and 1/4th of an inch long. So I am thinking of treating the whole tank because I really don't want to move him again and have an accident.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I can understand your thinking about why to try the salt but tbh if it was me I would continue with the extra water changes and not add anything else for now.
If you do want to go ahead with the salt let us know and ill see if I can find out dosages.

He sounds like he doing pretty well now.
He is eating normally now?
What does his poop look like?
How many pin holes are there altogether?

My common plec on occassion has had tiny pin holes in his dorsal fin, maybe only ever two at a time. Never found out what causes it to happen even though looked into it quite a lot but he is healthy and happy:dk:

I will do a bit more research about the cloudy eye, but there are quite a few things that can cause it including injury.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Salt is not good for long term use, but sometimes a salt bath is good for some ailments - if catching him is not too stressful. ie put him in a bucket with tank water and a couple of teaspoons of saly for 20 mins.
pimafix is good, it -like melafix- is a natural plant extract so its not like dosing with chemicals. Also have you tried indian almond leaves? they are good for general health.

plecmom

Jun 2, 2009
AB, Canada
He is eating normally now?
What does his poop look like?
How many pin holes are there altogether?
He is completely normal, in fact, better then hes been since this whole sickness started. His poop varries on what he eats. He loves watermelon, so that produces redish poop. Zuchini and other "rougher" foods like brine shrimp produce normal dark poop. Apples, which he loves also, produces whiter poop. Gone are the days of the no poo or the clear stringy slime like poo.
Um.. I would say in his top fin there are about 8 pin holes. In his tail fin, about 5, on the fins under the belly maybe 2. There are no holes in the side fins (the large ones).

Also have you tried indian almond leaves?
hum, no I haven't. I've seen them being sold but never gave them a second thought. Perhaps I should go this route?

If I were to do the primafix, if needed, could I treat the whole tank with the rubbernose in it?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Primafix should be fine with the rubbernose, just make sure to increase aeration.

plecmom

Jun 2, 2009
AB, Canada
Thanks doodles. At all times I use two airstones in the tank, one on either side. Plus I have the two filters running, so the tank has alot of flow and bubbles going at all times. Thank you all for the input. I will try the primafix and see if that makes any difference in him. If not, I'll leave it be. Like I said he is totally fine, its just the visual of him with pin holes in his fins and the foggy eye that never goes away. *shrugs*

indigoj

May 3, 2009
Bury, Lancs
You say he is 7 years old, are you sure as in was he a baby when you got him? If he was fully grown or half grown when you got him could it be old age?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
the eye may not be infection more an eye problem -like cataracts or something.
anyway try pima fix for a week and the almond leaves wont do any harm -he may even eat them! I put a leaf in about once a month in all my tanks.

plecmom

Jun 2, 2009
AB, Canada
You say he is 7 years old, are you sure as in was he a baby when you got him? If he was fully grown or half grown when you got him could it be old age?
He was a baby when I got him, he was only about an inch and a half. :)

the eye may not be infection more an eye problem -like cataracts or something.
this is what I was thinking too since nothing has helped the foggy eye.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
See how it goes with the primafix, it had been known to sort a foggy eye out, but obviously does depend on the cause.

plecmom

Jun 2, 2009
AB, Canada
Just wanted to come in and update!

Foggy eye is still there after using prima fix. I took a few pictures to a local small business fish store here, he believes its cataracts. Since then, I have noticed he is bumping into more things, and will use his nose or fins to figure out what he wants to suck on. Funny thing is, I know hes not blind as he will respond to me going up to the glass or taking pictures, his eyes will follow, and sometimes he will butt the glass with his nose, his way of telling me to back off, lol! I've given up on the foggy eye, I figure its just him now and there is nothing I can do.

Thank you for all your help!