power cut!!!

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi all,im at work and i got a text from the missis 10 mins ago saying we have a power cut :wb:
the whole street is out.how long can the bb in the filters live without power?:dk:
just hope i don,t come home to 2 tanks full off dead fish.....:cry:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
have her pour water from the tank into the filters ,do each filter a few times each, as often as possible .The cup of tank water to be poured into the filters needs to be about 6 inches above the filter (m's ,correct me if i am wrong) . The more often you can do this the better , but i have done it every hour and been ok with the smaller tank with a low fish load, so more often is better. If you dont have any battery air pumps , get some asap. If it is cold where you are, wrap blankets around the tanks -and covers to keep the warmth in . That's all i can think of for now , hth. good luck

Georgie

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
ps, this gotta be done from the get-go ,othewise the dying bacteria in the filters will be toxic to the tanks. If it has been more a while (mod's pls help here on how long) you will need to take the filters out, put them in a bucket and pour some tank water through, just to rid the potential dying bacteria, test the water that comes out for amonia,it should not take much ''cleaning'' ,just a rinse with tank water, then begin the process of pouring water into the filters as often as possible.
I have done this in past and it has worked.

Georgie

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
ps, this gotta be done from the get-go ,othewise the dying bacteria in the filters will be toxic to the tanks. If it has been more a while (mod's pls help here on how long) you will need to take the filters out, put them in a bucket and pour some tank water through, just to rid the potential dying bacteria, test the water that comes out for amonia,it should not take much ''cleaning'' ,just a rinse with tank water, then begin the process of pouring water into the filters as often as possible.
I have done this in past and it has worked.

Georgie
Cheers georgie,
but I think it'll be to late. I've just got in went straight to the tanks. Air stones ok,Filters running, timers ok but just under 4 hours behind. So the power was off for just under 4 hours. Back on around 2am!!
I'll do a large water change when I get up, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed when I'm sleeping.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
If you open the filter the smell should give you a good indicator of how bad it was.

I had this happen a while ago and they smelt like death, literally, had to strip them and clean them and did pretty much daily WC's for about a month.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
up now,check tanks for smells...75Lok but there is a smell coming from my edge.
all fish seam ok and there all there.will do a small water change in a mo. the tank is a bit cloudy tho,mini cycle?
keeping my fingers crossed its ok.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
I lost power for 8 hours overnight last year and just went in every hour and agitated the water in the tanks to keep oxygen levels up. All 18 tanks came through it with no problems :thumbup:

Worrying times though, hope everything is ok for you :)

They are replacing electricity cables in my street right now so am nervous of a power cut at some point :fr:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
good news. sometimes filters seem to cope with a few hours cut and sometimes they go toxic, I am not sure what the timne limit is or if it is also related to how full of bacteria it is etc.
we have a planned powercut on thursday for up to 8 hours, but I will be around to handle it. I just thank god they planned for it this week and not next week when I am on holiday!