Pleco/fish Names

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I know there's a lot of peeps that have named at least one of their fish, sooooo wha'ts the wackiest/funniest name you have given to a fish and why???

Steve C

Dec 14, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
BN called Diego, named by kids. They were watching Ice Age at the time.
Pair of balloon mollies called Fatty and Chubs, named after two friends of ours who are both beanpole thin hence the nick-names.
Apple Snail called BURT. After my chocoholic alter-ego, when asked where all the chocolate has gone I always blame Burt. Not sure why the snail ended up with the name though.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
I don't usually name my fish but I recently got a large Zebra Pleco male from Jo and using her words he had a "head like a shovel" so of course he's been named Doug :woohoo:

I've also got a very tiny albino bristlenose juvie that was trapped in an external filter for the first 4 months of its life and is 1/5 the size of its siblings and been named Itsy Bitsy for obvious reasons :D

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
oooh, i forgot. My dad named one of my fish, my RTB shark, years ago he had a large chunk of the side of his head injured, and it has left him with a scarred gill, so dad named him Arthur (scargill (used to be a politician in the 80's))

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
When I was younger I used to and I still have a few of those around. Now I tend to name (plecs) after who/where I got them so its easy to distinguish/differentiate them when I talk about them. For non plecs I dont bother.

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
My endli is called Poseidon, My Giant gourami is called Persephone, GT is Genghis because he lives up to the name, the plecs are all called mr. hoover, BGK is Blade and my hybrids all get super hero names. Everything else is just called fishy.

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
Ben has named our recent addition (a rainbow shark) Sharky :) He checks every day to see if he's grown.

Our first ever plec is called Mr Catfish and Bob.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Just thought i would annoy Russ and tell you all he used to call one of his plecs Gandalf.......i saw you looking at this thread lol

stannyblade

Nov 5, 2009
Sheffield UK
I had a large Bristlenose cat that my then 2 year old called Biglad. Not nice when he saw it belly up in the tank and I had to tell him biglad had died. Kept asking "wheres biglad" for about a month afterwards

• Sad
Reactions: johnbetta397

Paul

Oct 3, 2009
Hampshire, England.
Bristlenose is called Spotty
Green Phantom is called Minty
Gold Nugget is Goldy
L190 Royal has been called "Big Ugly" by everyone but me ...
RTB Shark is called Stephen
Juvi RTB Shark is called Nosey because he always has to investigate anything and everything.

Paul