New type of breeding/hiding cave/tunnel *feedback required

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Hi everyone,

I didn't know where to post this as I am looking for feedback on an idea really.

I am planning to do a Volte Grande/Altamira Rapids biotope at some point in the future and I have putting a lot of thought into making the best miature reproduction of such an enviroment. I wanted caves for the H Zebra that will be in there but not clay tubes or slate boxes. I was trying to think of a way of reproducing a natural rock cave (like the ones that Vaney uses his set ups are one of main inspirations) I'm no good with tools and angle grinders scare the c___ out of me.

So I started researching drilled rocks. I have managed to find a somewhere quite local that can drill and remove a solid core from rocks. He aslo has a huge selction of rocks available to work on (but many are limestone based) so I opted for Cumbrian Green Slate and Scotish Pink Skiff for my prototypes.

I have had 3 made for my personal use and for testing purposes. I've had pretty good feedback from the 5 people I have sent pictures to and now I thought I would share it with the pleco community to see if anyone else is interested. At the moment the core is drilled straight through so forms a tunnel. Not ideal for breeding caves, so I plan to cap one (out of sight end) with a piece of siliconed roofing slate. This will also allow easy access if required for removing trapped males/females or fry.

Those that know me, know I don't post many pics (technophobic reasons) so if someone could post an email address I will send the pictures that I have for your review and feedback.

I look forward to your honest opinions.

mike0605

Nov 2, 2009
Hoylake (Wirral)
Sounds great I would personally prefer a more natural looking cave for my plecs it's a shame that the hole goes straight through though would be perfect if they could stop just short of the end would create an amazing finish, but I am very much like yourself whilst I love some DIY projects I hate using certain tools.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
ok,

when the core is drilled through, why not just silicone left over rock over the end or cap it with a black sponge. Cant see a problem with plugging the hole.
The other option is to drill the core to about 1/2cm from the end. Then cut the rock through at about same pont, thus cutting the rock in half so to speak. The drilled core falls out and you reseal the rock together. just my thoughs. cheers jk :thumbup:

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Bigbird you read my mind, what you suggested is what i put on the AC listing. Small square of slate siliconed on for easy access to trapped fems or fry.

Can I email the pictures to someone to post for me please?

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Here's the pictures for Alan. I think they look great and would really work well in a biotope set up. The only downside I see is that they will take up a good amount of water volume.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Thanks for posting the pics Matt, I'm surprised how good the image looks considering I took it on a BB.

Thanks for the PM Dave. These were rocks were drilled on an industrial wet drill, we tried a couple of attempts to remove the the core before going all the way through. My attempts weren;t to succesful, it left the internal edge very rough and the cavity not to deep. Problem is trying to snap a 1"+ thick piece of rock. Hopefully i can get enough interest from people wishing to purchase so that I can order a large enough batch to 'play around' with.

I'm going to try and get another 4-5 done next week, hopefully get some really good ones done.

Matt with regards to water displacement that happens with any decor that goes in the tank. My aim is to help try to recreate a natural biotope for the plecs and other fish that live in rocky areas, there are 100's of kms the river that is completely lined by solid rock.

4wks ago I added 3 huge lumps of slate to see how my plecs reacted. The response from the L46s has been so rewarding, they are almost always on show within there chosen crevice but aside from that they also a lot more active now with and are often skipping and grazing across the large flat surfaces of the slate.

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
They look good

Can't you try a regular concrete/stone bit with a heavy duty hammer drill?

Or you could get them to stop at the desired depth and cover the rough/sharp bottom of the hole with epoxy. You can make sure it's smooth and it will last forever.

Edit- you could just cover the one end with epoxy to cover it. That way there is no hassles it's easy and fast to complete.

Last edited:

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
They look good. Is always great when you see new ideas come about which could improve peoples hobby experiences and benefit the fish

Ike

Nov 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
IDK about that epoxy idea, you might want to check it's toxicity first, pure silicone might be a good alternative. I had an inspired idea based on your work. Similar to the thought above but requires no glue, nor a hole drilled completely through the rocks.

This would only work if you have the tools to do it but here it is.

So here is what you sort of already have, a rock with three holes drilled.

Then if you could tilt the blade of a cement saw forwards 25 degrees and cut a slice into the top of the rock like this.

Then put the blade back upright and tilt it backwards 45 degrees and make another cut like this.

Then, aside from the rock cracking/breakage you should end up with something similar to this.

Since the cut out of the rock was done at angles gravity would keep the cut piece in place in the aquarium.

You could glue the piece on but I think it might be more beneficial to be able to remove that piece to get at eggs/fry, trapped fish, or to clean it out.

What do you guys think of this idea?

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
My guy could easily do that with his equipment, but every action has extra cost which is fine for my own usage, but I'm also investigating making a small hobby contributing income out of it if viable. His big wet saw has a 72" diameter, slices through boulders like butter. IKE I love your graphics (i am very computer iliterate, so have NO idea how you did that).

My imagination is running away with ideas at the moment. This morning 2hr drive was inspired and very do-able. So heres the background to it. The Altamira rapids are fromed from bedrock, I am now considering covering 90% of the base with beautiful large slate pieces, after all i can now get them cut and sliced to shape. I thought I would leave 10mm gap for circulation under the rock by leaving Hagen U/G plates under the rocks. I will drill some maintenance holes out of site for placing a syphon down to remove any toxic build up under there. I could take it further and create wall pieces and with all that combine the drilled rocks for caves......

It will displace lots of water, it will add a lot of weight, but could look fantastic and create a wonderful 'biotope' for my H Zebras.

I really want to do develop this idea, it will take time but I am convinced it will be worth it. I am really keen to see the resulting behavour from the fish. I am also hoping to make it as fish accurate as possible, and I have eye witness evidence of Zebras in the wild.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
His big wet saw has a 72" diameter
LOL! :lol: I must be tired, that really made me giggle.

I had this idea. How about panelling off one, or both corners, in the tank with a piece of flat rock (slate) and creating a triangular area for filter media and equipment. And then to disguise it by cutting and attaching thin edges of rock to the flat panel.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
:lol: indeed.

Now back to serious stuff. you must also be very wary of the glass weight capacity of these huge rocks and slate pieces. At the same time, if you have a timber floor understucture, check for floor weight distributions. For the inside of the tank you might have to use foam to assist the glass.
cheers jk :thumbup:

Ike

Nov 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If you need help visualizing a particular setup I could help if you can describe it in detail. Just shoot me a pm. :)

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Hi Bigbird, I'm thinking about doing a scaled down version at some point in a 24" tank. I could use a pond filter spong to bed the weight of the rock on.

Ike, I'll definately tanke you up on your offer.