New to breeding new to PlecoPlanet

Da_justin

Dec 1, 2023
Hello everyone,

Im new to pleco breeding but not new to aquariums or fishies ;)
Im setting up my breeding room with the plan to put 4 aquariums and if all gos well 6 of them.

Currently i have L018 Golden Nugget, L181 Peppermint and L128 Blue phantom.
The Golden Nuggets are already setup in one of the Tanks and the rest will be filled with water in the upcoming week.
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-01 at 15.16.21.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-01 at 15.16.22.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-01 at 15.16.20.jpeg

Cheers everyone

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
your welcome my set up is in my shed 37 tanks guppys sailfin plecos endlers albino bristle nose flower horns and red tailed shark most tanks have fish in them others dont and guppy grass plants and java moss some are tanks others are storage tubs and black square tubs some big tanks some medium some small

Da_justin

Dec 1, 2023
your welcome my set up is in my shed 37 tanks guppys sailfin plecos endlers albino bristle nose flower horns and red tailed shark most tanks have fish in them others dont and guppy grass plants and java moss some are tanks others are storage tubs and black square tubs some big tanks some medium some small
that is very cool john any tips for breeding the plecos?
got alot of caves and good piece of wood in the tank.

Reactions: johnbetta397

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
thanks buddy with plecos and breeding 2or 3 breeding logs black gravel driftwood and slate if u put the slate on an angle on top of the driftwood and leave a gap space for the plecos to swim into they will breed and set the heater to 24 degress and have a good size air stone in tank

Da_justin

Dec 1, 2023
thanks buddy with plecos and breeding 2or 3 breeding logs black gravel driftwood and slate if u put the slate on an angle on top of the driftwood and leave a gap space for the plecos to swim into they will breed and set the heater to 24 degress and have a good size air stone in tank
i just added a new heater because the old one failed me within a week :/ and that caused to drop the temperature in the night to 20 Celcius.
One of my six L018 nuggets died so RIP for him.

i still need a big airstone... i will make a picture for you later.

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

Baryancistrus xanthellus don't die because of 20°C.
The first breeding of Baryancistrus xanthellus was also preceded by a heating failure in Zoo Basel.

Greetings
Elko

Da_justin

Dec 1, 2023
Hi,

Baryancistrus xanthellus don't die because of 20°C.
The first breeding of Baryancistrus xanthellus was also preceded by a heating failure in Zoo Basel.

Greetings
Elko
if the others could speak to me i would maybe find out but unfortunately they cant talk.
i assume this was the problem since i have had the water checked 1 day before at my Fish store.

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball to see what happened.
But I can say from my own experiences and various reports over the years that this is extremely unlikely.

How do you check the oxygen content of the aquarium water in a fish store, for example?

Greetings
Elko

Da_justin

Dec 1, 2023
Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball to see what happened.
But I can say from my own experiences and various reports over the years that this is extremely unlikely.

How do you check the oxygen content of the aquarium water in a fish store, for example?

Greetings
Elko
You got a point there!
they were all eating good musquito larvas and the round pleco discs.

tomorrow the einheim airpump 200 comes in with airstone.

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
i just added a new heater because the old one failed me within a week :/ and that caused to drop the temperature in the night to 20 Celcius.
One of my six L018 nuggets died so RIP for him.

i still need a big airstone... i will make a picture for you later.
thank you sorry about your plecos dieing

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

There are two main causes for mortality of Baryancistrus xanthellus in aquariums.
1. They are used in an extremely poor nutritional state, possibly with stomach and/or intestinal diseases. You can see this because their bellies have collapsed significantly. (You often see this after a new purchase)

they were all eating good musquito larvas and the round pleco discs.
2. They are overfed with carnivorous food - for example mosquito larvae. The fish develop a fatty liver relatively quickly. Therefore they should be kept as strictly vegetarian as possible. (This can happen if you have them for a while.)

Greetings
Elko

Caveman 70

Oct 16, 2018
Brisbane,Australia
another problem sometimes with gold nuggets is they dont travel well and can be finnicky when shipped
as far as temp drop its unlikely to be a cause as was stated above, their temp range is from about 22 deg to 27a lot of plecos dropping the temp imitates the wet season and that is a trigger for them to breed
the pic above with them in the one on the left on the glass seems to look like its belly os slightly sunken( to me anyway, and could just be the angle of rhe photo)

Da_justin

Dec 1, 2023
another problem sometimes with gold nuggets is they dont travel well and can be finnicky when shipped
as far as temp drop its unlikely to be a cause as was stated above, their temp range is from about 22 deg to 27a lot of plecos dropping the temp imitates the wet season and that is a trigger for them to breed
the pic above with them in the one on the left on the glass seems to look like its belly os slightly sunken( to me anyway, and could just be the angle of rhe photo)
Thank you for your reply.
i adjusted the pump like suggested above and works alot better now.

they bellys look bit fat yes but that can be because i feed larvas every 2 days like some one at the store suggested to keep them pumped to grow.

Da_justin

Dec 1, 2023
Put in the eheim airpump 200 for 2 bubbles
and 2 extra small pleco caves behind the 3 in front.
so there are 5 L018 in this tank and L-ko suggested to not overfeed them so how many pleco discs should you suggest i give them a day?

Im always happy to learn and listen to the experts advice!

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-10 at 10.16.16.jpeg

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
nice with feeding pleco discs 2 to 3 per day is a good starting point u can pump it up to 4 if u need to