new tank

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
If they are MTS they don't eat plants and are very good for aerating your gravel and cleaning up waste food etc. They are easy to remove if you have too many (piece of melon skin in an aquarium net net removed about an hour after lights out). They are also a useful way off knowing if you are feeding too much, thousands of MTS, cut back on the food. I'd also put in a good word for Ramshorns and Physa bladder snails.

I strongly recommend them, they don't eat fish eggs and they are a good addition to the tank. You may find that Loaches struggle with them as they have extremely strong shells (even Pufffers aren't keen on them), and the fish that do eat them have developed special adaptations to deal with them (in cichlids a "pharyngeal mill").

Cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi, think the bigger snails,and there only 5 or 6 mm long,
have laid eggs...it must be the snail as they are the only
living things in the tank. On 5 off the plants there is a type off jelly
like blob with tiny tiny White dots in it.it's like frog spawn with
White dots.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Hi all,
If they are MTS they don't eat plants and are very good for aerating your gravel and cleaning up waste food etc. They are easy to remove if you have too many (piece of melon skin in an aquarium net net removed about an hour after lights out). They are also a useful way off knowing if you are feeding too much, thousands of MTS, cut back on the food. I'd also put in a good word for Ramshorns and Physa bladder snails.

I strongly recommend them, they don't eat fish eggs and they are a good addition to the tank. You may find that Loaches struggle with them as they have extremely strong shells (even Pufffers aren't keen on them), and the fish that do eat them have developed special adaptations to deal with them (in cichlids a "pharyngeal mill").

Cheers Darrel
well said yes sounds like MTS since you have a dirt like substrate they do aerate in plus they stop or provent air pockect that could be posionous to your fish! but they breed like crazy (also like darrel said) means your overfeeding.

i would not keep them once you have them you will always have them

i would recomend that once a week you set the trap keep there numbers way down they lay eggs everywhere so even if you get them all out the eggs will hatch
not to sure about tms but the snails that i had in one of my tanks came in on a plant they were breeding at any size.

so do stay ontop of them !

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Yep, that's them. Sucked up most if not all off the jelly
egg sack things.put an assain snail in the tank 2 days ago
and he's been very busy, found at last count 4 small snaill
shells.go assain.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
stockin my new tank,slowly over the next 8 weeks.will start next week,all water test have been good for nearly a week.
75liter tank,will this be ok:
L134 (perry)
1 betta
8 neon tetras (my boy loves these)

sold my BN to the guy who help me with his filter media.
he said he will crap all over the place and limit the amount off fish i can have in the tank.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
well it sounds like you are not lazy so daily water changes could of ment you could of kept it ?
I didn't mind the water changes, still do them, better for the
fish. It just means that I can have some more fish in the tank.
He told me that I'd be pushing it if I had 3 or more fish
as well as him and perry.I'd need a bigger tank.
At least I know he's gone to a good home and not back to the LFS.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
had to redo my edge after moveing the two plecs out.it now is home to 8 small firework
rasboras,4 males 4 females and a big apple snail:

and loads off live plants.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
The plant at the back on the right looks like a Dracaena? I've tried looking at it as an Amazon Sword, but it still looks like a Draceana sanderiana.

If it is? it isn't an aquatic and won't grow underwater. Other than looks good, would you like some Java moss? just right to pin onto your bog wood. I've got plenty spare if you can't find any locally.

I also think shy fish come out more if you have a backing, doesn't really matter what it is, G's bin-bag and Vaseline is a cheap option and does the job.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi all,
The plant at the back on the right looks like a Dracaena? I've tried looking at it as an Amazon Sword, but it still looks like a Draceana sanderiana.

If it is? it isn't an aquatic and won't grow underwater. Other than looks good, would you like some Java moss? just right to pin onto your bog wood. I've got plenty spare if you can't find any locally.

I also think shy fish come out more if you have a backing, doesn't really matter what it is, G's bin-bag and Vaseline is a cheap option and does the job.

cheers Darrel
hi darrel,not sure wot plant it is but it is growing.when i removed it to do the rescape
it had plenty of small roots at the base,but when u say won,t grow does that mean it will die or stay the same size?
don,t won,t it any bigger,its just the right size for the tank.
ill have some moss if u can spare it.can,t find any round here.
i have been lookin into a backing for the tank,been readin the thread about it on this site.
but the rasboras are coming out more now there is 4 more of them.

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
If it is a Dracaena it will slowly die, they will grow as an emergent (Lucky "Bamboo") is a Dracaena.

If it had stiff leaves and a definite "trunk" with roots at the base (which looks like its been cut acroos it is a Dracaena) PM your Address and I'll post some moss.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi all,
If it is a Dracaena it will slowly die, they will grow as an emergent (Lucky "Bamboo") is a Dracaena.

If it had stiff leaves and a definite "trunk" with roots at the base (which looks like its been cut acroos it is a Dracaena) PM your Address and I'll post some moss.

cheers Darrel
Ok, ill keep an eye on the plant. Pm sent mate

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
just done my weekly water test on both tanks and they are reading exactly the same...
any off you guys have 2 or more sep tanks that read the same?

Last edited:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi all,

cheers Darrel
darrel,the moss came today,cheers.makes the tank look better,and the rasboras seam to like it:

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Yup, Back right plant is non aquatic and will die.

For the moss try placing single strands of it on the wood. As you have it now you might find the bit on the bottom of the clump will die due to lack of light etc. Great little tank

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Lovely job, pleased the moss has arrived. Like FF MkII says the moss will spread more quickly if you spread it out a bit more on the wood. I've tried all sorts of ways of doing this, but now I just use a small stapler and staple it on, by the time the staples rust it will be fixed on, and I've never had any problem with them rusting in the tank.

Keep a watch out for hair algae in the moss, it always gets some (unless you have Amano shrimps) and it can easily take hold before you notice it in the thicker clumps.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
its funny watching the rasboras go in and out off it.it looks like they have made tunnels
under it,between the moss and the wood.
also the pics make it look like its clumped together but its thinly spread out across the wood.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Yup, Back right plant is non aquatic and will die.

For the moss try placing single strands of it on the wood. As you have it now you might find the bit on the bottom of the clump will die due to lack of light etc. Great little tank
i,m thinking about replacing the plant at the back with 1 off these:

Anubias Lanceolata

may also get some for the big tank as i,m told its pleco prof..:dk:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Anubias will do, they don't grow very quickly, and are best fastened to some wood rather than planted. Java Fern will also do (as Irene suggested) again same proviso's.

I wouldn't give up on Echinodorus (Amazon Sword), you may find if you can get one growing strongly the fish are less interested in it.

cheers Darrel