Need Ideas For Easier Poop Clean Up

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
Hi as the title states I need a few ideas on how to setup a tank so that the poop is easier to clean up on a daily or every other day basis. I can get photo's of the current setup which will most likely change later on when my driftwood sinks.
I got a bare bottom tank with a few large rocks and well a big piece of driftwood which is well floating at the moment. The fish currently in there are a 5-6" Titan Panaque and a 7ish" Papa Panaque (Minus Streamers) also has for 1" Trimac Cichlids which will be moved out in hopefully a month as soon as I part out with the fish in my 135 gallon tank. The Panaque's are currently in a 53 gallon tank which is being used for there quarantine and temporary home for the time being. I will also be adding my 4-5" Tocantins L27 Royal to the tank later down the road.
I know it's gonna be over loaded hence why I want the easier cleaning ideas to make the frequent water changes faster and easier and less stressful for the fish. I was thinking of trying a powerhead but I know nothing about those. Never used one before. I was thinking with the use of one or two it could help push the poop to one side of the tank. Just need suggestions though on how to set it up or input whether or not this would work. Also recommendations on a good brand to get. The tank is 4" long and 16" deep if I remember correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help provided. Will try providing pictures later on this week when I get a chance to pull out my camera.

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Well placed powerheads are great for this and your plecos will usually really enjoy the extra current. Play around with placement of one or two decent quality ones and you will soon have the majority of the waste is an easily accessible spot for removal.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
$13 wave makers on eBay do the job for me
I've bought more expensive ones and they always stop working while the cheapies are going strong

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
agree, some wavemakers which are stategically placed, can make water dance and place the poo in 2-3 pilles, then all you have to do in syphon. make sure you do not get the first lot in your mouth :cry: yuck cheers jk :thumbup:

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
$13 wave makers on eBay do the job for me
I've bought more expensive ones and they always stop working while the cheapies are going strong
Oh alright i'll check those ones out them thanks for the tip

agree, some wavemakers which are stategically placed, can make water dance and place the poo in 2-3 pilles, then all you have to do in syphon. make sure you do not get the first lot in your mouth :cry: yuck cheers jk :thumbup:
LOL yea I got the syphon thing mastered. I no longer have those days where I get a taste of fish water in my mouth.