Nano journal

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Woo Hoo, i just ordered my Birthday present...A Dennerle nano cube (same as Lisa's) And i shall be doing a step by step set up guide on it with pics so watch this space!

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Yay, look forward to that:clap::clap::clap:

lol didnt get my diary started:wb: got the info and pics, just not had time to write it up.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Soooooooo what you putting in it?
did you get the shrimp complete one?
are you going to use co2 or easycarbo or similar?
Did you manage to get a uk plug one?

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Soooooooo what you putting in it?
did you get the shrimp complete one?
are you going to use co2 or easycarbo or similar?
Did you manage to get a uk plug one?
Dunno lol
Yes
Yes
Dunno

Got it from germany, cheaper than getting it from here.
First thoughts of livestock are micro rasboras. Or a pair of Apistos?? Plant wise i'll probably have some Vallis Nana at the back with some moss attached to some sort of hardscape. Or i might just go for a blackwater biotope thing with one type of plant, some dead leaves and some twigs :dk:

Or a mini paludarium. Its a blank canvass and im looking forward to painting it!!

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
lol have fun:yes::clap::clap:

btw some of my glossostigma is finally sending runners out along the substrate:clap:

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
OK, its here. Must say that www.aquaristikshop.com is brilliant. Cost me just 9 euros for shipping and they did a superb job of packing it, first class and i would recommend them to anyone!

As this is a birthday present from my good Lady im not sure i'll be allowed (i use the word allowed very lightly as i wear the trousers in this house, just dont tell her that) to set it up until my Birthday (13th April) But i can at least show you all a pic of it boxed up lol.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
you must be joking!, get it out and start setting it up!!!!
do you want me to have words with her? lol

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Ok Here we go.

The tank as you know is a dennerle nano cube, I got the 30 litre complete plus one as it has everything you need to get you started with the exception of a heater and any sort of CO2, The heater shouldnt be a problem as it will be for shrimp and possibly a few nano sized fish but i will ensure they dont get too big and they can tolerate lower temperatures. Even so i reckon the temperature would never get too low anyway.

Here is the tank with all the equipment you get. 2 bags of very fine black gravel, 2 bags of substrate fertiliser, internal filter, 11 watt light with built in reflector, black backing, base mat, thermometer and a sample pack of shrimp food, shrimp conditioner, tap safe and a plant fertiliser.

I started by trying to fix the black backing on the tank. Its rubbish and not only did it rip it also stuck to parts of the tank i didnt want it to so i decided to paint the back with blackboard paint, i have used it on all my other tanks and cant fault it, it gives a nice matt finish and looks very good. Black also brings out the colour of the plants and hopefully the shrimp.

Doesnt look great does it?

Thats better.

Last edited:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i use blackboard paint on all of my tanks too, always looks great.
so whens it getting set up mush?

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Another shot of the back painted.

Once i rinsed the tank out i put in the two bags of substrate fertiliser.

After the substrate was added i started the difficult bit. Deciding what hardscape to use and where to put it.

I had some redmoor that i didnt use but it wouldnt fit so i cut it up.....but it didnt look right. So mini landscape rock it was http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/mini-landscape-rock-per-kg-p-1437.html
Very natural looking and made famous by planted tank guru Takeshi Amano.

Here is the finished Hardscape layout

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
:clap::clap:Looks great so far, you can get the black stuff on the back but we used something really flat to get it on with, so no air bubbles etc, actually I say we but mean my other half:whistle: