My Planted Tank

phoenix44

Jan 15, 2010
Palmerston North, New Zealand
I'm finally happy; well relatively satisfied with the tank and tomorrow I get to take some of the plants out. Mixed feeling about it all really, but the red arcuata will be cropped down as will some of the repens and the polysperma sunset on the RHS.
Funnily enough there are fish in this tank, one of them even took the liberty of coming out just after I took these pics.

I'v attempted to take pictures of the tank to show all its plants - though that is not possible as many many crypts and swords (at least 100+ plants) are hidden.

Volume -

200L

Lighting -

4 x 54W T5 HO @ 18000K powerglo
1x 6800K plant pro T8
1x actinic blue (flowering response) T8

DIY CO2 with pollen glass diffusers.

Water -

pH 7.0 natural
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrate / Nitrite 0.0
Phosphate ? - will update

Filtration -

2 x Fluval® 405, one with modded eheim expansion set.
1 x eheim® pro II 2028 with complete expansion set.

Flora - Too many to name
Fauna -
Won't bother, but there are LOADS of fish in there somewhere.

Other -

7 pieces of medium/large sized driftwood about 30 - 40 cm each (yes you can come over and count them if you don't believe me)
1 large piece of schist to ensure plants do not grow there. This acts as a grazing ground for my plecos, cories, synos and discus.
Loads of salt.
Background - Black Vinyl from Spotlight®

Water Change Regime -

2-4, 30%-40% cold water changes per week. Mainly for the plants.

Treatments -

Seachem Prime
Stress Coat
Cycle
Flourish Comprehensive
NitraBan if I leave home for extended periods.
In filter - Phoszorb, Nitrazorb

Pictures -

(This pic is stored in png format and the colours went a bit wonky. Least it looks like that on my screen).

I am considering getting a fairly large shoal of ember tetras. Sort of want cardinals but I'll get bored of them I think.
Will switch to Hi-Tech CO2 relatively soon.

The foreground plant is s. microfolia. it is interesting to see how some has grow tall and some short. same batch of plants, same conditions. All were chopped to the roots and put in the tank so new leaves could grow.

Guess which side of the tank gets CO2 :dk:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
wow, thats an awesome looking tank, well done<3:clap::clap:

A nice sized shoal would look really good in there, theres a few different sorts other than cardinals though

phoenix44

Jan 15, 2010
thanks guys, im sure some of you have some stellar tanks!
I'm only 22 and a student doing my masters and working two jobs, so everything I do is on a relative budget.

No regrets with this purchase though. Will add more over the coming weeks.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Nice mate you have done well, I should have a tank in the next fortnight I havnt much a green thumb so i may need your help. lol

phoenix44

Jan 15, 2010
ha ha you know how it is. you go to a store here, and don't see any thing fantastic. so when you do see something you grab it and hope to hell it does well in the tank.

Unless you're me; in which case you order what is needed :D