My new L27 xingu

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
Hi
My L27 xingu just arrived in the post from Wales. Although he is alive he is very stressed (his eyes are sunken and he is pale) Is there anything I can do to help with the stress?

I have put a sheet over the tank.

Thanks

Catfish2012

Oct 8, 2012
Selby
keep lights off and dont feed him you can also get stuff(sorry forgot the name as their are a few products you can use) that you add when u ad new fish

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I'm alway tempted to fiddle and do things when I have a new tank but I think it's best to stay hands off as much as you can. And when it's necessary to do anything, try to do it calmly and sedately. As silly as it sounds, whenever I enter the room with my tanks I try to make them aware I'm coming in.

Cutting out any bright light is a good idea, I always try to make the light dim in the room, but haven't personally used a sheet before.

Create lots of water surface movement and agitation so that oxygen levels are as high as possible. Either move the outlets a little, add an extra powerhead/air pump, or drop the water level a little to expose the outlets more.

I disagree with Catfish2012, in that you should try to get it feeding asap. I like to have veg like sweet potato and courgette/zucchini already waiting for them, and then once they settled into a hiding place, scatter some wafers/pellets/granules of dried food as close to them as you can. To be extra accurate I use a tube to direct the food, usually a spray bar I hay laying around. But the precaution with feeding and them not eating it is to keep on top of removing it as to not deteriorate water quality.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Is it skinny?
Is it newly imported or a long-term captive?
I agree with Matt. I like to get them eating asap. If it's skinny I will go against normal practice and feed bits of meaty foods, bloodworms (Chironomids) have worked well for me. The reason fo rthe meaty foods is that they tend to ahve a bit more calories per unit then other foods. That way what little they may eat goes a long way. Commercial foods are also good if it'll take it. Feed sparingly, once you see it eating a bit more switch it to more appropriate foods.
I treat all new wild-caught fish with Hikari PraziPro. Pretty gentle and has worked well in settling fish for me.

If it was a captive and just struggling with the shipping, some clean water, quite surroundings and good food will help it settle.

Catfish2012

Oct 8, 2012
Selby
Is it skinny?
Is it newly imported or a long-term captive?
I agree with Matt. I like to get them eating asap. If it's skinny I will go against normal practice and feed bits of meaty foods, bloodworms (Chironomids) have worked well for me. The reason fo rthe meaty foods is that they tend to ahve a bit more calories per unit then other foods. That way what little they may eat goes a long way. Commercial foods are also good if it'll take it. Feed sparingly, once you see it eating a bit more switch it to more appropriate foods.
I treat all new wild-caught fish with Hikari PraziPro. Pretty gentle and has worked well in settling fish for me.

If it was a captive and just struggling with the shipping, some clean water, quite surroundings and good food will help it settle.
Thanks for this information pal you hit the nail on the head with this

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
Thanks to all replies.

Its in my dads tank (due to problems from before) i already lowered the water lever this morning to get more oxygen/surface movement.

I added a little carrot (as thats all they had in)

When i lowered the water level he didnt move much and stayed partly above water (as pic).

I bought him from someone who had him for a few years.

His belly is good not sunken at all.

Attachments

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lornek~

I like Prazipro but I was talking to a friend and they said it's useless. reason is fresh water fish don't drink water so to treat IP's you need to use a med that can be mixed with foods so they'll ingest it.

Any truth to this?

Mark~

Congrat man happy to see you are back in :)

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
Cheers Jackson. (I'm glad too)

Matt- haven't seen him for 5hours now. My dad said he's been moving around a fair bit so I'm a little happier now. I'm going round later to check up and bring a little sweet pot.

Cheers guys

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Nice, sounds like a good thing. Like Lorne said, breaking protocol and feeding meaty foods at the beginning is ok to get them started.

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
Just popped round to drop some sweet pot off he seems a lot better now.

Thanks for advice I will see how he gets on to tonight and maybe put some muscle in tomorrow.

Don't think I will have a fish sent in the post again to stressful for the fish (and me!)

Cheers rideout sorry I haven't been in touch I will email you later.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Lornek~

I like Prazipro but I was talking to a friend and they said it's useless. reason is fresh water fish don't drink water so to treat IP's you need to use a med that can be mixed with foods so they'll ingest it.

Any truth to this?

Mark~

Congrat man happy to see you are back in :)
I like it a lot and it's use seems to help a lot when I have used it. Maybe a coincidence but if it is, its enough for me.

I'd think freshwater fish need to drink more or at least the osmotic process would cause it to absorb water. With freshwater, the water outside is purer than the fluid inside so water would be absorbed to off set (maybe that's why they don't drink water) the difference. Either way, i'd find it hard for it not to ingest water through the course of eating but maybe its not at a sufficient concentration. However a lot of the womers you hear of are not ingested like Pancur and that L-one and they seem to work well. I know when they treat for cammallus you see dead worms after the treatment.

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
got some dewormer so I will stick some in.

His eyes look mushy if you know what I mean. What you think I should do?

Cheers

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Mushy? I think being somewhat sunken can be expected after the rigours of the journey and acclimatisation. Do you know if it's eating/pooing yet? How is it looking in general?

Personally, I wouldn't treat for worms/parasites just yet. I like to know they're somewhat settled, at least a week or so, before I would treat.

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
I can't upload pics as I'm on phone, they look yellow and one looks more damaged. I have emailed you a pic.

The top of his mouth is also red. Do you think melafix will help?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
kinda looks like it could be injury from capture prior to shipping or ammonia damage if the fish wasn't adequately purged prior to shipping. Clean water & mela/pima should help.