My L134 breeding efforts

Andypex

Jul 7, 2011
Sheffield
Hey Gem
I've got some nice adult males in my group of 134's if you fancy loaning her out (or selling her :D)
Im only in sheffield too :clap:

Andy

davej

Jun 24, 2011
Vancouver Canada
Thought it might be time for a little update
Here is a vid of my 90 with the L134's feeding.
Sorry for the dirty glass.
[ame="http://youtu.be/TWBosRQcaR4"]302 Found[/ame]

Zebra Pleco

Retired Staff
Nov 18, 2010
Gardenstown, NE Scotland
www.zebra-plec.com
In one of the posts above, you said you had 5 caves, then bought some more, how many fish did you have in the tank to caves when they finally bred for the first time. I have loads of caves in my tanks, and possibally think I may have too many.

The lack of cave competiting maybe my problem.

Plecomate

Jul 28, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Love the video mate, The markings on them are amazing and the tank looks great with all the mangrove root and driftwood. How many spawns per/Month you getting now mate?

Zebra Pleco - 3 caves to a pair is plenty so if you have say a colony of 8 then 9 caves should be sufficient. Thats just my 2 cents, hope it helped

Cheers

davej

Jun 24, 2011
Vancouver Canada
In one of the posts above, you said you had 5 caves, then bought some more, how many fish did you have in the tank to caves when they finally bred for the first time. I have loads of caves in my tanks, and possibally think I may have too many.

The lack of cave competiting maybe my problem.
I have had 5 caves in with 11 adults up until this weekend. Sadly I had a male trap a female in the round cave and she died in there. So now I am down to 4 caves as I removed the round one. I have had aprox 10 spawns now with an average of about 25 per batch. One particular male has not been without a spawn the whole summer and at one time had wigglers and a new clutch of eggs at the same time.
When I had my pleco condo with about 20 spaces I had no spawns as everyone had there own space.
I followed the advice of apistomaster at the begging of summer about keeping the caves down to the number of males and make the females compete for the males. It wasn't too long after I did this that I had my first spawn.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Plecomate

Jul 28, 2011
Sydney, Australia
mmm Very interesting, That what I have been told to only have 1 cave per male, although I have also been told to have more caves than fish (To an extent) i.e. 3 caves per pair.

davej

Jun 24, 2011
Vancouver Canada
mmm Very interesting, That what I have been told to only have 1 cave per male, although I have also been told to have more caves than fish (To an extent) i.e. 3 caves per pair.
I have only one cave per male but have lots of hiding places for the females in amongst all the wood.

Plecomate

Jul 28, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Yea good point buddy, Depends on what people prefer I guess and their fish ;) some prefer a cave for each fish where others prefer a cave for each female as long as there is substantial hiding places for the female.

YSR50

Apr 29, 2009
Chicago-ish
Great thread :thumbup:

When I started breeding L134s I noticed that something different works for everyone.

I have 12 caves for a breeding colony of 10 adults.

Last edited:

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
Beautiful tank and fish! What temperature do you keep your tank at, and also what ph? I've been trying to get mine to breed, but I haven't had any luck. Any information you can give me would be great.

davej

Jun 24, 2011
Vancouver Canada
I keep my temp at 84 F
My ph is usualy around 6.4 ish
My Gh and Kh are fairly soft, both at 3
I think soft water is important to get good hatch rates.
With 10 adults in a 90 gallon, I have had all the action in 3 D shaped cave with the current flowing across the fronts of the cave.
To be honest with you I lost count of number of spawns after 12. :blushing:
I keep the lights on for 12 every day to mimic photo-period of the equator.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
WOW!! I have really missed out on this thread, It's Mind bogglingly amazing, Fantastic photos Dave, The best I've seen, love your set ups, very nice..Congrats on your continued success, Brilliant effort...

Last edited:

davej

Jun 24, 2011
Vancouver Canada
Haven't updated for a while, fish have been breeding like crazy. They have been sitting on clutches pretty much non stop since April. There hasn't been a time where at least one male has had eggs or fry on the go.
I have three 40 gallon breeders on the go for grow out.
L134's put on huge growth in the first couple of months and then seem to slow a little bit after that. I had some black sand in the bottom of one of my growouts, I decided to take it out as it seemed to trap some of the food and I wanted to go bare bottomed. After taking out the wood and rocks out and siphoning out the sand here is what I found in there.
Enjoy
[ame="http://youtu.be/BjTonxxcpWU"]L134's[/ame]