Minimum Quarantine

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
:hi:
As i've mentioned in previous posts i'll be picking up another tank this weekend to move some fish around balance things out a bit.
This tank comes with about 6 Fish, i'll list them when i have them positively ID'd
Just wondering how long i should leave it before i start moving fish, don't think i should be adding these fish to my tanks before i know their infection free :(
Thanx for any advice

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
4-6 weeks.

Some people do a week, some a couple of weeks but really should quarantine for the above amount of time. I do 4-5 weeks

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
Yep, 4 weeks w/o addition of any other fish or disease outbreak. Count starts again in eirher event.... (the start of MTS for sure LOL!)

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Wow 4 weeks :( still i trust your judgement everyone and i'm not about to risk my collection of lovely plecs.
with the stress of the move i'm guessing things i should be on the look out for are Protozoan diseases like Ich and Velvet and possible Bacterial diseases like fungus or fin rot :dk:
thanks for the replies everyone :hi:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
with the stress of the move i'm guessing things i should be on the look out for are Protozoan diseases like Ich and Velvet and possible Bacterial diseases like fungus or fin rot :dk:
These would normally show fairly quickly.
Its things like internal parasites etc.

Just slightly away from the fact that yours are local, a lot of wild fish go through a lot of stress getting to shops etc, the quarantine period is also for their benefit, give them chance to de stress before being added with other fish. Stress is the main reason why ailments/diseases take hold.

The problems I had when i first started keeping fish means now i would never add any fish where ever they come from without 4+ weeks quarantine

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Just slightly away from the fact that yours are local
Not far wrong i'm very lucky in that the tank is only 15 miles away :clap:
Internal Parasites :( as far as i know most of them show up through signs like clamped fins and striking off objects :dk:
If after 4 weeks they are settled well with no signs of stress etc it should be fine to start moving fish around then?
starting to wish i'd gone for a tank with NO fish now as the main reason for this purchase was to get some fish out of the 4ft so i can remove the partition and let the Rainbow Fry loose :wb: if only i had room to set-up a 5th tank :lol:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Not far wrong i'm very lucky in that the tank is only 15 miles away :clap:
Internal Parasites :( as far as i know most of them show up through signs like clamped fins and striking off objects :dk:
If after 4 weeks they are settled well with no signs of stress etc it should be fine to start moving fish around then?
starting to wish i'd gone for a tank with NO fish now as the main reason for this purchase was to get some fish out of the 4ft so i can remove the partition and let the Rainbow Fry loose :wb: if only i had room to set-up a 5th tank :lol:
Clamped fins & striking off objects is more a sign of external parasites. Signs of internal parasites is clear, stringy poo, overall skinniness that doesn't improve, a sunken belly and sometimes overall ill health.

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
ah right of course, internal/external, Thank you for clearing that up, silly me
Well hopefully i won't be seeing any of that, time will tell i guess, Hakuna Matata
Will try and get some pix of the new arrivals anyway to post up
Looking forward to it, the fun part for me is finding out what fish you have :clap:

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Another thing is to try to copy the water you use in your aquariums as much you can, this will help when going into the already in use tank/ there new home.
I tend to lift my water temp up and use BB tanks if possible as keeping the bottom free of debri etc is a must and as lornek said keeping an eye open for fecal matter.