Ludwigia Palustris Red

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi,does anyone have Ludwigia Palustris growing in they tanks with plecs?
manly a L081?
its a fast growing plant that would fit in well in my tank but i don,t wont ned to eat it.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Okay, recently you've been asking about plants & if Ned will eat them or not. Let me try to clear things up, there is no magic book that'll tell you if a particular plec will or will not eat a particular plant. It basically comes down to the individual plec & the answer I think someone gave you before, the more veggies you give & the better fed they are they less chance they have at eating your plants. Don't take this the wrong way & hopefully its not coming across wrong, I'm not intending to be mean or insulting. I've had carnivorous plecs destroy plants & i've had herbivorous plecs not touch them at all. If I had to guess i'd say it'll probably be okay as small leaved bushy plants don't usually get touched by plecs. Its more the broad-leaved plants like Amazon swords that succumb to the rasping action of plecs. Its not so much that they are intending to eat the plant but more trying to graze on large flat surfaces as they do in nature. BTW, GNs come from areas that lack plants so it isn't a case of them preferentially going after plants they are familiar with in nature.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
it is a balance of food and what available if hungry. Some plecs eat plants, some dont, even some carnivours each plants and vegetarians eat meat. It is finding the correct balance. I know of people who feed zucchinni or cucmber everyday and plants never get touched. It is a little trial and error. There is no black and white answer. cheers jk :thumbup:

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
I've had a planted tank for 3 years now with 2 rather large common plecos. I would have to agree w/ bigbird in that if you feed them veggies they seem to leave your plants alone. Every now and then they'll eat a piece of leaf from a sword plant, but it's very rare (at least in my tank) when they do that.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
well i have started to feed veg every day,just after lights out and pellets late in the night,think its working.
i just wonted to know if the Ludwigia Palustris is a plant that the L081 would eat,just like he loves to graze on my swords.it looks like the veg every day is paying off,no more sword leave damage.
ill get a plant from aa,and see how it goes,cheers all.