L200

C.B.Zoo

Oct 18, 2009
Council Bluffs Iowa
Has anyone seen an L200 that is FULLY spoted?? I have what I belive is an L200 but Every picture of one shows that the spots stop about hlafway down the fish. the one specimen I have has spots all the way down to its tail! is this just a good looking L200 or is there yet another type of L200 floating around? I will try and get a picture of this one tonight when I get home..

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
L200 is in fact 2 fish Hemiancistrus subviridis and Baryancistrus demantoides
This just shows how useless the L Number system has become.What started out as a system to ensure that the vast amount of fish from the family Loricariidae were given some form of controlled identification has degenerated in to the same mess that was in use before ie give it a name that makes it sell.

It is quite possible that L128 is a variant of Hemiancistrus subviridis adding to the confusion.

L200 Barry Sp and l128 both display a stronger patten and differance in the spotting depending on the catch location.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=210

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species=hemiancistrus+subviridis&species_id=223

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=1805

C.B.Zoo

Oct 18, 2009
Council Bluffs Iowa
Thanks forthe update on planet catfish... This is where I looked for fully spotted L-200's and with all the images of the 2 types. I was able to determine that I did not have the Baryancistrus demantoides version of the L-200. However even looking at the pictures of the Hemiancistrus subviridis I do not see a fully spotted one.. So I dont know if I jsut have a nice looking L-200 or is it something else... Anyway enough of the talking and lets get on with the picts... These shots were tken with nikon D-60 with no flash nor any editing other than to crop the picts.. So this is a close as I can get to "natural" colors. Let me know what you think...

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
That is a L200 my good chap.

Pattens should be seen as skin shades in humans we are all Homo sapiens but we have a variety of shapes sizes and skin tones.
So fish are the same
Evolution has given us this patten to protect and aid us as it has with fish.

Just fish have less climatic and biological changes to deal with so they have less variety per Species

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
In fish Pattens can change along with physical characteristics.

One good example is Fish from lake Tanganyika.

Male fish generaly exibit a patten that is quite unique to the Sp.

Mimicry and juvenile pattens have cased many misidentification . Among the "Hobby" fish keeper a tenancy to deal with fish in a almost humanised way has given may false identifications and names for fish.

I am convinced that when the Boom in L numbers is over and it all settles down we will find many fish that had a L number attributed to it for some reason will start to fall in to a sub species grouping of the main genus.

Right now every dam pleco has a multitude of L numbers assigned to it by every Tom Dick and Harry. I have seen fish that were described in the late 1800,s given a L number.

Once the Genus has been established I would regard a L Number as a waste of time.
The reasoning of "We need a L number to have a chance of getting the conditions for the fish right" rings hollow when you look at L200 two fish with totally different habituates and feeding pattens. So were do we base the sourse of our care for this fish?

Myself I believe catch location and observation are the key to good fish keeping.

A general rule of thumb is that fish that are the same size and genus from the same area are going to share a few common factors like water quality and feeding habits.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
That is a L200 my good chap.

Pattens should be seen as skin shades in humans we are all Homo sapiens but we have a variety of shapes sizes and skin tones.
So fish are the same
Evolution has given us this patten to protect and aid us as it has with fish.

Just fish have less climatic and biological changes to deal with so they have less variety per Species
Sometimes you sound like you know what you are talking about Bob :lol:

C.B.Zoo

Oct 18, 2009
Council Bluffs Iowa
Yeah I kinda thought it was just a "real" nicely spotted L-200 but I have seen smaller "differences" called out as a different "species" of fish. Especially in the Pleco world.. I just wish they would get this all sorted out some time... I sometimes feel like an idiot telling my freinds that "Well I am not really sure what it is..."
Other times I feel like a dectective trying to spot miniscule clues to try an tell one fish apart from the other... Ever tried to ID a female vic before???? Talk about an exercise in futility!!!:whistle:

C.B.Zoo

Oct 18, 2009
Council Bluffs Iowa
now all I have to do .. Is get another one..a male then I can really try my paitence.. the discus are about to drive me insane.. so I guess I could get a "male" then really go insane..... waiting for them to pair up.

2wheelsx2

Dec 21, 2009
Burnaby, BC, Canada
There was a big long discussion on planetcatfish just over this point, whether green or blue, full spotted vs. half spotted. I really think not too many people can reliable tell a non-blue L128 from an L200. The Baryancistrus L200 took me a while to figure out even, but now that I know what I'm looking for, I can spot it.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
If L200's can get spots all the way down is there a way of telling L200 & L128 apart if their colours are close?

Last edited:

fishy

Dec 18, 2011
sydney
correct but 128 are not blue as what all think we have established obvious green is 200 and look for that bit of blue as thats all 128s have a little bit of blue more darkish blue but what about the ones faded colour darker or less spot we have 5 options we have 2x128 one full and one not full spot then we have our low fin again full not full spot we are up to 4 types add the high fin 5 now . simple either members are under impression these all related except high fin or you under impression 4 different species i under impression all 4 one before they were sourced for the hobby no one but god only knows if they cross bred or always have been one species or how any one going to know were exact part of river they collect them these people are all about money to live put food on table last thing you want to do is let others know were you getting them exact if anything they probably tell the opposite of what they know lol. last full spot and non full spot both 128 and 200 are here au the 128 i sold one was not full spot i did make sure buyer was aware and reduced price slightly . thing is with full spotted as they become adult over few years they tend to loose there spots more and the white marking on tail of 128 and off white to yellow marking on 200s do not get me wrong 1 kept most its spots but majority will loose spots and fade colour . the missing question is what size is the 200 that way we know if more growing to go more grow more loose. my opinion to small judging by pics . last members note think second pic already can notice a spot or two going its kinda like me goin bald . hair or spots will not grow back unless can afford ashley and martin hair consultants lol