L190 not Eating

johnny70

Technical Support Team
I have had my boy 'Thor' for over a year, rescued him from a crappy shop with not wood:wb: etc etc, you know how it goes! He has grown a inch or so in that time, getting nice and wide too, he's approx 4". Last couple of weeks I haven't seen him eat his courgette or sweet potato or wafter:-/:-/ have tried the old rubbing with garlic which he normally loves, but still nothing!

His belly has sunken a little, his eyes aren't sunken, he just doesn't 'look' right, he's not been on his wood or cocnut munching(that I have seen) he is just hanging on the glass.

After some reading on PF:)huh:) I treated the tank with Wormer+ in the hope its worms or another parasite. There have been no new addition to this tank at all in the last 4 months! He's NOT in the same tank as the Royal(L330) I lost a few weeks back:(

Any thoughts?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
How are the water parameters?
No lapses on water changes etc?
Have you ever treated this tank with any meds?

I know it was a different tank but can you remind us what the symptoms were for the L330?

I really hope we can help but if you do lose this one I would seriously start considering taking the body to a vet that deals with fish and getting a biopsy or something done.

johnny70

Technical Support Team
Temp 26ºc Ammonia/nitrite 0, Nitrate 5-10, gh 6, kh 1, ph 6.8

Tank is a Rio 180 with a 30-40ltr change every 7 days, treated with prime.

Only meds used were Esha2000 for a wound on a garra about 3 months ago.

L330 was a sudden death, no marks or anything, found him dead:(

Only thing I have noticed is my large male BN (he's been a bit grumpy since he lost his mate about 4 months ago, she died while laying eggs) has taken to chasing L190 off at times, stress maybe? I could move the L190 to the other tank with my L27c, L91, L88, L177's etc?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
BN's can be proper nasty at times, it could be that the 190 isn't being allowed to eat, everything else seems fine so doubt its a water issue.
have you seen any sign that the 190 is pooing as normal?, piles of sawdust in the corner etc.., it may be that he is eating the wood at night.
i've never seen my 330 eating anything but still have a pile of wood dust/ poo in the corner

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
If the only plec in the tank thats picking on him is the bn, i would move the bn. Moving the 190 will just stress him out even more.

Is the ph stable? the kh is quite low

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
ok good luck, i would get the bn out soon. Had the same problem with my L200 being bullied by a bn and not getting to the food. Moved the bn and the L200 is fine now.